𝟐𝟏. ✭ 𝐓𝐑𝐈𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐍 ✭

Ever since the attack on the compound I have escorted Daniela to dinner, arm in arm, much to her mother's approval, and every night I have been invited to attend, to sit right beside her. It's a bit awkward since Daniela now suspects what I had all along; that Tatyana wants me to become something more than just a guard to her. What exactly that is I'm not sure, but after Brooks had basically called me a carbon copy of Torey, I have a feeling it's not just a close friend. So we've chosen to play a semblance of the facade Tatyana wanted to see every night while we ate. Daniela appearing happy with her hand in life and her circumstance while I sat mainly in silence, only speaking when spoken to.

The other men have started regarding me differently, giving me sidelong glances at my closeness with our boss's daughter. Some looked envious while others looked sorry for me and I'm sure that's because we all know how it "ended" for Torey. Aside from Daniela and I, I doubt anyone here knows the real truth about Torey— that he's still alive and thriving.

If and when Torey gets well enough I know he will be coming to Albania. Whenever that man had a personal vendetta he was capable of causing a gruesomeness that not many men can. I'm not looking forward to being on the receiving end of that especially since I'm close to Daniela, the one guarding her. The man will want to slaughter me. He already does.

Speaking of spending time with Daniela, I have come to pick up on a lot of the subtleties in her change of attitude. I've learned all her tells. Like how when something irritates her she caresses her jaw with an index finger then curls it around her chin— which she just did. She pulls her hand away from her face and reaches for her wine with a 'happy' smile at her mother. Tatynana is currently feeding Wolf, tending to him in a motherly manner. I know it's killing her internally that they always keep him at just an arm's distance from her.

"He looks so much like you when you were a bebe. The same flokë të zeza." Tatyana pets the dark hair atop the child's head before looking between all of us. "I suppose everyone at the table has a head of the same shade." I wipe my mouth and swallow uncomfortably at that statement because everyone at this table knows exactly who that child looks like; his father. "Tristan, have you ever thought of having children of your own?" I see Daniela freeze in my peripheral.

"I have never given much thought to it, honestly." I fan out my napkin before placing it back in my lap. "In my line of work I don't see that as a responsible thing to do, I suppose."

"What line of work is that?" Dedaj's voice is ice cold. "What about it would make you ill-suited to be a father?"

"Sir, I am your man, here to protect you and your family at all costs. There is no room for anyone else in that equation. My sole focus should be on you and yours." Torey had trained me to believe that as such. Your main focus is the syndicate. It is your life. Anything outside of it makes you weak. Don't let yourself have a weakness. It's ironic really, considering the woman beside me had been his. It still is.

"You believe family to be a weakness then?"

"It can be, sir. Yes."

I watch his eyes flicker over to Daniela for a long moment before replying, "yes, it can be a weakness but it can also be a blessing." He reaches out to Wolf, patting his head in much the same manner Tatyana had. "You see, Tristan, Taty and I were never able to have any more children after Daniela. We were never able to have sons. Now we have the next generation who will carry out the Dedaj name and its' legacy. Isn't that right, Daniela?"

"Yes baba." She gives him a tight smile, one that has me seeing the slight trembling of her lips as she does.

"One day he will be sitting right here." He slaps the table in front of him forcefully, making it quake beneath the blow. "He will take over everything for me, my life's work and empire will be his. If there is anything I can be proud of you for, Daniela, it is that." She looks down at her plate and I can tell it's taking everything in her to keep her composure. "Does it not make you happy that you have made your father proud?" His tone full of condescension.