𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟓

"You're new friend sure took a beating, Master Bruce."

"Falcone did it, he's got them under them under strict control."

"Poor kid."

-

It was Halloween tonight which meant it was the anniversary of my parent's death and it would be splattered all over the news compare the photos of me as a kid to now, they often talked about how I looked as if 'I never aged a day but that was because I had to cake my face in make-up due to the shit Carmine put me through.

I knew it was him who got my parents killed and he admitted it once when we got into a fight which I shortly lost as I was only a teenager and was still under heavy training, I hated thinking back on all the shit I was put through as the man simply wanted a weapon.

Something to exploit, someone to neglect until he wanted them.

An assassin that wouldn't ask questions other than essentials to the missions he gave them, now that he had Shade for that it only sparked his confidence and threw me into the dangerous waters that he was treading in and I couldn't say anything.

The only way to stop it was dying, dying in a fight and letting someone have a power trip over killing the infamous Shade.

At the same time, it would reveal that I was Shade too and I was scared of how the public would react if they found that out.

I was meeting Bruce Wayne today too and Falcone warned me if I slipped up during this reunion then I would have to move back into the club which was going to be torture, this apartment was perfect and I didn't have to worry about privacy most of the time as I already knew where all the cameras were and none were inside the apartment luckily.

Turning on the TV was something I quickly regretted as they started talking about my case almost instantly so I shut it off before I had to hear anymore, my memory of the events was starting to fade but I managed to still remember the fear of that night and it also haunted me when I thought of the moment.

Why did my parents have to betray Falcone? They knew it wasn't going to last long, the Wayne's warned them and it only angered them.

Why?

Understanding my parents was so difficult as I knew that they were aware of the danger they were putting us and everyone they had a connection to in danger so maybe that was why they cut contact with the Waynes?

Maybe they knew that Martha and Thomas Wayne would warn them and try to offer help but knew they were too deep in and decided to say their goodbyes, they must have taken me so Bruce would have a good memory of me or maybe they hoped that I would live to.Who fucking knows at this point.

I took a deep breath then walked into my bathroom and looked at myself in the mirror to see I was still bruised from the beating I took last night for Batman, it was a dumb idea to follow but he was grateful that I took the hit for him and understood my lack of freedom more.

Only a sigh was able to escape my lips as I grabbed my make-up and started trying to cover it with my scars which was something I had to do every morning so that no one would accuse Falcone of anything, it would be worse if my scars were revealed now that Batman could recognise me from it and I didn't know who he knew and how many people were his 'eyes and ears.'