Chapter 13 - Family

You make your way deeper into a cave, a light shining in the distance. You hide behind a pillar and see Eren, passed out and chained to the ground. You were about to go free him, but you heard footsteps and stopped. Your eyes widen as you see Historia, wearing a long sleeve, white dress. Historia approaches the ledge, Eren now awake. He's gagged with a metal rod, and grunts as he tries pulling at his restraints.

"You're awake. It's all going to be okay, Eren." Historia says softly. Eren gives her a concerned look, unable to reply.

"My father admitted to everything... going after the scouts... killing Pastor Nick... but he only did it because he had to!! He is humanity's ally, we just didn't understand!" she continues as she looks up at Eren.

"Thank you, dearest Historia." Rod says from behind. You glare as you watch your father hold Historia's shoulder. He's already brainwashed her... she can't really believe that he's humanity's ally... does she?

"I'll explain the rest. Come." Rod says as he guides Historia up stairs that are connected to the ledge. They approach Eren from behind, making him shrug away but not being able to move.

"F-father?" Historia asks cautiously.

"It's okay, here, let's tell him everything... without needing to say a word." Rod says. He stretches his arm out, Historia mimicking him, and touches Eren's back. Eren gasps as a small spark comes out of his body. He stares straight ahead, his face expressionless.

"Do you remember now? The sin your father committed..." Rod asks as he backs away.

Historia holds her head, her eyes filled with worry.  "How... h-how could I forget? She taught me to read... she played with me... I was never alone! So how... how could I forget her??" she asks through tears.

"I think you're remembering Frieda. Your older half-sister..." Rod says calmly. Your eyes widen as you hear those words. Of course his real family cared more about Historia... she was the only one the family must have found out about...

"Seems that touching Eren made you remember those memories... memories that she had erased from your mind. Just know, she only did it to protect you, Historia." Rod continues.

"She was so kind... after Astoria left I... I had her... I need to thank her" Historia says shakily. Rod closes his eyes and wraps his arms around Historia.

"Frieda is no longer here... she was killed. By a man named Grisha Jaeger. He somehow possessed the ability to turn into a titan, and found my family while we were here, praying. He came to steal our family's power, though I cannot explain why. Frieda protected us, but she did not know how to wield her power completely... and was devoured. After taking her power, Grisha then turned on the rest of my family... I, alone, escaped." Rod explained, pain seeping through his tone.

You scoffed silently to yourself. What a sob story... Rod claimed to love his children, but then shamefully slept with his maid, forcing her to keep me hidden like a terrible mistake. Then he did it again with Historia... only this time, Alma didn't ship Historia off to the military as a child. She shipped me off, hoping I would die... So why... why would Historia believe a damn word he says- you grunt as you feel a grip on your hair, tugging it harshly. You look up and see Kenny, a sly grin on his face as he chuckles down at you.

"Well, well, well, what have we here? It's like a family reunion!" he says snarkily, throwing you to the ground. You shudder as you sit up, finally facing your father after so many years.

"Kenny?... Astoria?..." Rod says dumbfoundedly.

"Whatever you're talking about has to wait... it's a shitshow up there." Kenny says as he puts his hands in his pockets.