v. convos

CHAPTER FIVE

JAKE & SAYA────────────' convos '

JAKE & SAYA
────────────
' convos '

—ONCE JAKE HAD BROUGHT LUNA back home, he headed straight for Sy's house, per her request. The route to her home was starting to feel a little too familiar, but perhaps that was because it was so close to Luna's house.

Sy was sitting on her front porch when he arrived, and Jake could only assume she had been waiting for him. It was an odd feeling, having someone expecting him rather than the other way around. Seeing Sy closer to the ground was also peculiar. Sure, he had seen her at the carnival, but this time felt different; Their nightly routine had changed.

She waved him over, quickly standing up as she greeted him, "Thanks for not bailing, c'mon, we can talk inside."

With a nod of agreement from Jake, Sy opened her front door. He kept his mouth sewn shut as she led him inside, timidly trailing behind her as if her home was a haunted house. The interior was different than he had expected: white walls with no decor, close-to-empty shelves, and visibly uncomfortable furniture.

Jake paid it little mind though, simply shrugging off the unhomely atmosphere as he followed Sy up the five-or-so steps to the upper floor. The second floor was much like the first, bare and eerily blank. Jake had assumed that the emptiness of the house would have transferred into Sy's room as well, but as she creaked open the door, a wave of character and personality flooded out.

Sy's room was the antithesis of her house. Pictures and polaroids lined every wall, the two bookshelves she had were littered with trinkets and books, and every item inside the room was a different pastel colour.

"What?" Sy questioned, a worried tone underlining her voice. Jake flicked his head over to her, his eyes wide.

"Hm? Nothing, why?"

"You look— I don't know— shocked?"

Jake breathed out a laugh, a weight being lifted off his chest, "Your room is nice! I just didn't expect it."

Sy's mouth formed an "O" as she realized what he meant; the contrast in her house was notable, to say the least, she had just never had the energy or need to decorate anything but her room.

"If I'm not in here, I'm outside the house, so the rest of this place doesn't matter as much to me," Sy shrugged, taking a seat at her desk, "You can sit, anywhere really, I don't care."

Jake looked around, hands clasped in front of him. Not wanting to sit on her bed and disrupt the peace of her sheets and seeing no other proper seats, Jake lowered himself and sat cross-legged on the carpeted floor.

"Ok, now let's talk," Sy crossed one leg over the other as she spoke to the boy on her floor, who was still examining the features of her room. He hummed in response, turning his attention to her shortly after. "What happened today?"

Jake clicked his tongue, his eyes shifting from Sy to the pencil holder on her desk. It was a little misshapen, making it easy to tell that she had probably made it herself. "I don't even know. I was going to end it with her, I was. But then I woke up the day after we talked and— I just couldn't do it."

Jake kept his head low, playing with his hands as he waited for Sy to go off on him. He sat there, fully prepared for a lecture or perhaps to be scolded, but those expectations were never fulfilled.

"That's okay."

That same abnormal feeling he felt when he saw Sy sitting on her porch had come back. Everything she did was the opposite of what he expected, leaving him confused beyond repair.

"Huh?"

"It's fine, I didn't expect you to do it so soon, it seemed too good to be true," Sy smiled down at him, her words a little harsh but very much true. Jake understood what she meant, and although it hurt to hear, she was right. No one like him would be able to do what he had promised her on such short notice.

"So... you're not mad?" He asked. Sy shook her head, hiding her bottom lip behind her teeth. Jake furrowed his eyebrows, once again perplexed by her actions. "Are you ok?"

"Mhm," She murmured, quite unconvincingly. Jake, picking up on her change in demeanour, tilted his head, urging her to say what was on her mind. Sy sighed, feeling herself give in to his tactics far too easily. "I just feel bad for you."

Jake shot her a smile, somewhat sad himself, "I'll be alright."

It seemed like whenever they were together— which albeit, wasn't a lot— at least one of them always had something to speak about. However, sitting right in front of each other, they had nothing to say. Silence was never something Sy liked, but the one created by the two of them was bearable. She didn't feel awkward, they had both said what they needed to.

"My name's Saya."

"Hm?"

"That day you asked for my name, I said you could call me Sy. My actual name is Saya Han."

"Saya," Jake said, testing how the name sounded coming out of his mouth, "Nice to meet you, I'm Jake Sim."

— ## AUTHOR'S NOTE
hhhello
this is a little short but needed, and i wanted to get
something out faster than last time so here we are >_<