BIRTHDAY PARTY

Henry passed you a coffee cup, moving down a line of employees making sure each of them was prepared for the day ahead. The liquid was lukewarm, it wasn't particularly appetising but the idea of getting some energy back into your body was too appealing to pass up the beverage.

There was going to be a big birthday party at the restaurant and the parents of the kid clearly paid a lot of money to Henry and William, because they were very insistent on perfection today- or, Henry wanted perfection. He was his usual cheery self, apart from the undertone of frustration you sensed, but William was unlike you'd ever seen him before.

Where his partner was frantically trying to manage the staff and make sure everything was in place, William only watched. It was unusual for him to be uninvolved in the restaurant, you always assumed it was his lifeblood, but now he appeared preoccupied even on the day that his business would rake in a lot of money.

You wanted to approach him but you were too busy. With William distracted and Henry dictating everything else, you had double the work to do on the animatronics. It was imperative that they didn't mess up during the party, as not only could a fuck up with a robot mean a disappointing payment; a lawsuit was always a looming threat.

You didn't mind the work, however. You chose this job in the first place so you could really become involved with the technology, and now you're entrusted with the responsibility it feels empowering. You picked up a stupid habit of conversing with the robots when you worked on them, it sometimes helped you identify problems when you spoke them aloud, but in general it was just to keep the mood light. Today was no different, you muttered a string of jokes to the animatronics as you twisted the wires and cogs in their stomachs and it was able to keep you level-headed despite the workload.

And honestly, ever since the day that William had charmed you in his car you'd been burying yourself in work just to avoid thinking about how you feel. It wasn't as if you got nervous every time you caught his eye, but there was a physical attraction you couldn't deny. You often found yourself just staring when you had nothing to do, taking in his appearance. You hadn't really noticed before now how strong his arms were, despite his otherwise lanky build, you hadn't realised how strong he was in general until recently. It was awkward having him catch you eyeing him up every second, so you'd often take on more work than necessary just to keep your brain from wandering.

If William had noticed this, he hadn't said anything. You'd been refusing his rides home and keeping conversation short just because you feel the impulsive urge to flirt anytime you're alone with him, but he hadn't said anything about that, though at the moment you doubt that your curtness is of his utmost concern. It was slightly irritating not being able to read him like normal, and you felt as if the two of you had become distant so you couldn't possibly ask him what's the matter.

Freddy moved with his usual fluidity and sang a cheerful song that came clear out of his voice box. You smiled up at the animatronic in admiration of your work, then looked down at your grime covered hands and wiped them hastily on your jeans.

"Wash them."

You whipped your head around to see William towered over your crouching form. It was slightly menacing being between an animatronic and him, it felt as if you were a rat about to be chewed up by hungry stray dogs. You tilted your head up at him in confusion, which earned you a disappointed click of a tongue.

"Don't wipe your hands on your clothes, you need to look presentable." William elaborated and you muttered a pathetic sorry to him, avoiding his judgemental gaze. You pondered on why he was suddenly treating you like he did every other employee, beginning to find yourself increasingly upset at the cold interaction, you forgot to stand and wash your hands.