Dreams

It always comes to me in my sleep. Horrified, scrambling away, I try to get away, but never succeed. It comes closer. Until I can see it clearly. I see its distorted face. Its misshapen body. The slash marks across its body. The hospitality in its eyes seem to pierce through me, leaving my will shattered.

REALITY

A scream pierces through the silence of the real world, waking me from the dream. 3 in the morning. An unusual time for a scream. Well I mean, it's always an unusual time for a scream, but this is more so than other times. No harm in checking it out, I guess.

Now obviously I have a family - parents and a sister- so going out at 3 in the morning isn't really their ideal idea of how I should be spending my life, so I creep past their door and go outside.

I, of course, hadn't thought of the obvious question yet; "where did the scream come from?" So I was sitting outside for about 15 minutes before any sign of life decided to show itself. It wasn't quite a scream, but I guess the chirping of crickets can be comforting too. At 4:30 in the morning I decided to give up on listening.

SLEEP

It started off relatively normal. I was by myself. And I hear a creaking noise. Soft at first, but growing ragingly loud. Then it comes. Every dream. They're all the same. Except this one.

Instead a woman came. Crying, pleading, begging me to help her get away. From the monster chasing her. "You can see it too?"
"Of course I can see it! It gave me this!"

She pointed to a slash where she had been lacerated by a knife. A slash that looked exactly like the one across the monster's chest.

And then the creaking started.
"No.." She whispered in a hauntingly quiet and shattered voice.

As it started to near us, she ran from it.
"Wait!" I shouted, but it was too late.

It sprinted after her, with an impossible speed I had never seen before.

REALITY

3 days later and I couldn't stop thinking of the woman who came to me. I tried to recall her details, but the dreams are always within a mist.

I decided to give up and go back to my dream world.

SLEEP

This time the dream changed. This time, the mist had been lifted. It was clear where I was. The place where my body was; in my bedroom.

The monster came. But this time it was different. It was as if I was being shown what it had looked like before its mutilation.

And as it took the knife I had always kept on my nightstand, I failed to react quickly enough. The life poured out of my body as I stared into the monster that had killed me. As I stared into my own eyes.

REALITY

My parents found my body the next morning. The police came, after hearing about a noise complaint. A scream. Followed by crying. As the police arrived, my parents finally came back from the horror they were trapped in.

And after my parents stepped out of the room, one of the police stated, "2 fatalities," as they dragged my sister's body out of my closet.