Chapter 2 - Welcome

After about 20 minutes of riding on Dutch's horse, while Sadie and Arthur were next to us, we finally arrived at what I assumed to be was where every one of Dutch's gang members lived for the moment. At first someone who had a gun and was protecting shouted while pointing the gun at us.

"Hey! Someone's here!!" He Held the gun right towards me and Dutch, it got me a little scared. "Calm down Charles, it's me." Dutch laughed a little and Charles put the gun down. The gang came out of their huts and looked at me and Sadie, confused. "We have two new members." He got off his horse and helped me down, followed by Arthur helping off Sadie, he stayed on his horse. "So, me and Arthur were wondering the forests and heard screaming, so we went to go and see what was happening. Two O'Driscoll boys held these poor souls at gunpoint and we managed to save them. Turned poor Kaylee here into a Widow.. Animals.." Dutch patted me on the back and went to get Shaun. "Me too.. A few weeks back.." Sadie wiped her tears and I rubbed her back, while trying not to cry. Dutch shook his head in disbelief.

A guy with a full beard and big belly approached, "I'll get some food for y'all, you probably need it." "Thanks Pearson, that's kind of you." Arthur smiled at him, while he walked off to go and make some food for us. Dutch called, "Miss Tilly, Miss Karen, will you take the two girls inside and get them warmed up?" Tilly walked over, put her arm around me and took me inside, Karen took Sadie. It was good to see some girls for once, while Dutch and Arthur saved us, the O'Driscolls made me practically terrified of men, probably Sadie too, but she didn't speak a word for a while. "You both like coffee?" Tilly asked us. "Yeah, thanks." I replied, Sadie just nodded. "I have some spare Winter clothes that'll fit you both perfectly." Karen rooted in her wardrobe and found 2 outfits, they were actually some really nice clothes. 

We got warmed up with some Coffee and then were left alone for a short time to get changed into some more Winter fitting clothes, we walked outside and gave the coats back to the boys. Pearson came over and passed us a bowl each of stew, which we took inside and ate. While I ate, my chest ached so much. Life without Shaun was surely gonna be so hard, he was the person who comforted me the most when I was upset or scared, now he was gone because of the O'Driscoll animals, they were crazy.

Tilly knocked quietly and walked in, sat beside us and asked us questions, respectfully, "Hey.. You both look really upset, wanna talk?" She smiled slightly to reassure us, "Well... To start.. Sadie knocked on our door a few weeks back after searching desperately for a place to stay, she was cold and shivering.. Me and Sh-Shaun... We um..." My chest hurt even more than before and I choked up. Tilly rubbed my back, "In your own time, I ain't rushing you.." She looked sad. I coughed a little to open up my throat, "We let her live at mine and she explained that the O'Driscolls had killed her husband in a horrible confrontation, they were out to get her to but she escaped..." Sadie broke down crying and covered her face, while she sobbed. Tilly tried her hardest to calm Sadie down, while also listening to my story. "We got a knock from the O'Driscolls, they made up a horrible story that Sadie had gone missing and one of the boys were her husband.. My Boyfriend started getting protective of Sadie and I.. His good intentions costed him his damn life.... B-But Arthur and Dutch saved me and Sadie..." I sighed loudly.

"Absolute monsters.. Well you are safe now. Me, Karen and all the gang will keep you safe from any dangers.." Tilly spoke, we heard Dutch shout my name, so I walked outside and let Tilly talk to Sadie. As I opened the door, I saw a 6ft hole, ready for Shaun. "Wanted to give your boyfriend a proper send off and give you come closure." Dutch put his arm around me. Arthur and Charles carried Shaun and place him on the floor, by the hole, "I'll give you a few moments to say your goodbyes, and then we will bury him.." I walked up to Shaun's lifeless body and collapsed in a fit of tears and grief. "Ohh Shaun... I'm gonna miss you dearly... You were so brave and loving, the best boyfriend anyone could ask for... I-I will n-n-never stop loving y-you..." I cried and cried and cried, over and over again. I placed my hand on his chest, where his heart was and placed a very soft kiss on his forehead, then I wrapped my arms around him and laid by his side for 5 minutes, running my hands through his hair and repeating, "I'm sorry.." "C'mon, lets get Shaun buried." Dutch helped me up and picked Shaun up, Charles and Arthur helped too. Many of the gang members gathered and paid their respects. When he was fully in the hole, Dutch filled it up and called for the Camp Reverend to say a prayer.

He asked for us to close our eyes and bow our heads as he said the Lord's prayer. This made me feel a little more better that Shaun was getting a proper send off, he was religious and it's how he would have wanted to be sent off. "Thank you." I said to the Reverend, he smiled, "No problem. I am Swanson, Reverend Swanson. If you ever need to chat, I am always here." He walked off to his own hut and slowly the crowd faded away. "You can sleep in Karen and Tilly's hut if you want to, they keep all the spare blankets and sleeping bags. It's getting late, you better get yourself wrapped up and comfy." "Thank you Dutch for saving me and Sadie.. It really means a lot.." I hugged him so tightly, "Please tell Arthur we are appreciative too." "I will do, goodnight." Dutch walked off and waved at me, I walked into Tilly and Karen's hut.

Sadie was calmed down now, Tilly did a great job of calming people down, she helped me so much in the short amount of time I had only known her. Karen walked past me and got 2 sleeping bags for me and Sadie, "Here y'all go, we're going to sleep now, wake us up if you get upset, we will help you." Karen got into her sleeping bag, followed by Tilly. Sadie placed her sleeping bag next to the two girls, I also did, it felt safer next to them...

The first night away from Shaun was strange, he had slept by my side for years and this was my first time sleeping alone ever since we first got together. I knew he was looking down on me and being my guardian angel. I kept waking up with tears in my eyes and only got about 4 hours of proper sleep....