-'04

CHAPTER FOUR
ପଓ
Out of a Movie

•••

Life just never goes in his favor, does it?

New York City was an incredibly loud place in the morning. All this people, all awake so early, doing things so early.

Who hurt them?

Perhaps he is not the only one who the world distastes.

Walking to the laboratories had been torture for him, especially so early. Lysander was a morning person, truly, he just isn't on weekends. Weekends are for sleep and nothing else.

Who the heck would wake up at seven in the morning on a Saturday? The people in this city, what a pity.

When the Scamanders arrived at M.A.C.U.SA. Laboratories, Lysander intention was to stop by the cafeteria first; however, Lorcan stopped him and guided him to the elevator.

Not only a flying origami bird hit him in the face as soon as the doors opened, but his evil twin made him work for hours without breakfast.

Evil. Just evil.

The fact, in all truth, was actually an exaggeration. They had barely worked for an hour before Lysander's nagging had annoyed Lorcan enough to go get breakfast.

Once his tummy was happily full, Lysander complied to whatever his brother said.

It wasn't difficult to convince him anyways. As soon as Lysander sat down and read the documents, fully awake, he became consumed by them.

All these cases, all these weird behaviors, all these creatures, and all of them within his reach. To say he was excited was an understatement.

He read every single paper, making mental notes and highlighting the most interesting ones. His brain was working overtime, his mind almost immediately forming patterns between the investigations. He voiced his thoughts out loud for Lorcan,  who happily listened with shy glances at his excited form.

He was glad, this was exactly what he had wanted: for Lysander to be comfortable doing what he likes. Lorcan couldn't help the small smile in his lips.

"Do you remember the illegal dragon reserve Grandad Newt told us about?" Lysander asked after a while.

"The one in Australia or Ukraine?"

"Australia" Lysander smiled, "Apparently, it existed under a different name years before he visited it.There was an explosion caused by one of the hybrid eggs, burning half of the reserve. It was closed down, and the mother of the egg that exploded became so depressed that she had to be sent to a Japanese reserve instead of her native home."

Lorcan made a face of distraught, "That's horrible, is she still there?"

"I think she was sent back to the Australian reserve when it reopened, hoping she would try retaking her immigrating path towards New Zealand, but she stayed put and never left." Lysander crossed his arms, "If I make the math right... she's about 200 years? Give or take."

He turned to Lorcan with a look he knew too well, "Can you believe that? A small egg to cause such tragedy? At the time,  knowledge in caretaking dragon eggs was limited, but imagine if they had the information we now have. Both the egg and the mother would have had such different destinies, we could have helped them more." He twirled in his wheeled chair and sighed.