prelude.  Renegade

Prelude

Prelude                       Renegade

                         Renegade

                                                             "Listen, kid," says Jim Hopper, eyes tired, hand twitching for a cigarette. He shoves it into the hoop of his pants instead. He promised El he'd quit, and she somehow always knows when he breaks a promise, and then it's angry looks and slamming doors and friends don't lie whispered over stale dinners.

The universe, however, has decided one volatile teenager isn't enough, because this is the third time he's gotten a call about something lurking in the woods — and this is the third time that something has turned out to be Jessica Bressett. She's looking at her feet, chewing her lip, not meeting his gaze as much as he tries to get her to. 

"Yeah, yeah," she interrupts, because apparently the title Chief of Police does nothing to teenagers these days.

Jim looks around, resisting a sigh. "Listen, kid," he repeats, and then tries again, unsuccessfully, to get the girl to meet his eyes. "What are you doing out here? It's Saturday. Shouldn't you be... god, I don't know. Hanging out with friends?"

Jessica scoffs, and crosses her arms. Shifts her weight to the other foot and kicks something in his overall direction. "Haven't you heard?" she asks, in a tone that is clearly mocking. "I'm the freak of the town."

He has, of course. Jessica Bressett, looking for her missing sister. Jessica Bressett, acting like her sister is gone. Jessica Bressett, refusing to acknowledge the fact that Autumn Bressett came back, that she's very much back, very much alive. It's strange, but it's not really Jim's business. Maybe the girl's sick, or something. Mentally. Jim knew her mother in high school. Definitely a possibility.

This time, he does sigh, and at that, Jessica kicks something with her foot again. Her eyebrows furrow down, but she still doesn't meet his gaze. "I swear," she mutters. "Half this fucking town thinks I'm deaf."