Chapter Three

Devious Disguises

Devious Disguises

THE NEXT MORNING, THEY SET OFF AGAIN. Aves was prepared for another long day of walking, only for them to across a road as a farmer passed. The man took one look at the ragged bunch in front of him and allowed them onto the back of his cart. They wedged themselves among a crowd sheep. It wool was not as soft as it looked. Aves wrinkled their nose against the rough texture and the twigs and things stuck in the wool. The sheep baahed loudly in their ear. It reeked. Aves held their breath.

As they went, the farmer spoke cheerfully with them. He didn't seem to suspect any of them. Though not was unknown if it was due to their disguises — which consisted for some of only a change of hair style, which specifically allowed for a better look at the face — or the fact information simply hadn't spread.

Aves nearly started to be comfortable. The sheep weren't too bad. Then they started to get into London proper. A crowd of people started to grow. So did the smell of people. And the sound of people. Animals as well. Sheep and geese and the like. Aves hunched their shoulders and eyed the people around them. No one seemed to notice the approach of the farmer. Good on one hand, since no one would remember their arrival days later. Bad because they made no attempt to provide space for them. Even as they climbed out of the cart and tried to get their footing.

Tewksbury stayed in the cart. Aves was almost disappointed to leave him. For all his obliviousness, he had proven himself a good travel companion. They would miss him.

"So, this is where we part?" Tewksbury said. Perhaps Aves was fooling themself, but they believed he sounded rather disappointed.

"It is," Enola agreed.

"Then, thank you Enola and..." Tewksbury paused and gave Aves a confused look. "Did you ever actually give me your name?"

"No. And it shall remain that way," Aves said.

"And you were supposed to have forgotten that name," Enola added.

"Then you'll have to find another," Tewksbury said.

And with that, the cart rolled away. Soon enough they couldn't even see him.

"He'll be fine," Enola said to the space behind them.

"I like him," Aves admitted. "Are you certain we can't keep him?"

"No," Enola started off into the street, Aves on her heels. She continued, this time to her friend. "London: the beating heart of England. Mother will be here, somewhere, and though she prepared us for many things...the outside world was not one of them."