The Recording

A/N: This chapter isn't necessarily childhood or anything; I just was rewatching ep 9 and noticed something and really wanted to write this since we didn't see it happen. In the end, this series is really just things we haven't gotten to see happen, it just focuses on characters meeting.

Hailey's POV

I smiled as I watched Jake and Miss Jones walk off. I turned, ready to head to the music room when I got a notification from my phone. I pulled it out to see a notification from.. Zoey? Ugh. What did she want?

'Hey. I have something you might want to hear.' I stared at the message for a moment, continuing on my way to the music room. Should I respond? Before I could think of anything she sent me a recording. I stopped walking for a moment and put my earbuds in, proceeding to look at the recording, hesitating to click play as I started going back to the music room again.

After a couple moments of hesitation I clicked play. "I joined to sing for Daisy; and that's what I'm gonna do." It was Jake's voice, and.. The tone was.. Off. "Whatever they're using me for, I'm not letting them get in my way." ..Using him for-? "Heck, Hailey can't even sing without me if it weren't for her stupid stage fright!" I stopped walking. What.. What was he saying-? Where.. Where was this going? "And they probably wouldn't stand a chance without me!"

No.. no. This had to be a- a mistake right? This was staged? Edited! Jake.. he-he couldn't think that.. Could he-? He- he was like.. Family to me... He let me see more of him than I thought there was to Jake.. this... this had to be a mistake right? My vision was starting to blur as my eyes filled with tears but the audio kept going.

"They should be grateful I joined them in the first place!" I felt a tear roll down my cheek. His words were stinging, but worse than any bee sting I've ever gotten. Still, I found myself letting the audio continue. "They should've known from the moment I joined that I wouldn't be a music freak." I felt myself drop my phone as the audio ended. This had to be a joke.. Right?

I practically stumbled the rest of the way to the music room. The world was spinning around me as I clambered into the music room. Right then and there is when I finally collapsed.

"Hailey!? Hailey, what's wrong? What happened!?" I could somewhat make out Zander's voice through the haze of buzzing I felt. The next thing I knew was Luke was helping me back to my feet. I leaned onto him, my body begging for support. "Hailey, what happened?" Zander asked again, I could fully hear his voice this time.

"My.. my phone-" Was all I managed to get out. Tears kept streaming down my face, no matter how many times I tried to wipe them away. My face was burning. This... shouldn't be hurting this bad.. Why- why am I crying so hard. Zander lifted my face up and wiped my tears, bringing me into a hug for a moment.

"Where's your phone?" He asked, giving a nervous glance to Luke. I realized I had dropped it somewhere in the halls. It wasn't in my hand like I remembered. I tried my best to hold my hand up, pointing outside the door. I wiped my tears once more before attempting to speak again.

"I... I dropped it.. I think.." It was probably an accomplishment that I could get a sentence out if I looked as bad as I felt. Zander glanced back at Luke before turning and running out the door, towards the halls. I just hugged Luke, continuing to cry against him. I just stopped trying to hold it in.

"Hey guys! What's--- Hailey? Woah woah what happened? Who hurt you?" I looked up from Luke's shoulder over at Milly, who entered the classroom. An angered yet worried expression on her face.

"That's what we're trying to figure out.." Luke mumbling, bringing me back into a hug. Milly ran over and hugged me as well.

"I swear whoever made you cry is gonna have to deal with me when I see them!" She angrily mumbled under their breath. Her grip around me tightened a little, as they seemed to be hoping it'd somewhat calm me down.

Not too long later, Sean ran into the room, seemingly out of breath. "Zander texted me that Hailey was crying.." He paused to catch his breath. "I came as fast as I could.." He walked in, looking at Luke and Milly, whom had let go of me. "What happened?" As if on cue Zander ran back in.

"I got it!" He walked over, presenting the phone to me to open. I let go of Luke and reached out, unlocking the phone. I hesitated again. Of course I didn't want to hear it another time. Once was more than enough, but.. They had the right to hear it too. I pressed play.

I tried my best to tune the recording out. I didn't want to hear it again, that'd just make me feel worse. I could only watch as my friends' faces turned from concerned and confused to horrified and angry ones.

The recording finished and we all just stood in silence; minus the occasional sniffling from me. "I swear... the next time I see him he's done for!" I heard Milly's voice, her tone wasn't a confident one she normally held. It was full of pain and disbelief. I could tell they were holding back their tears.

Zander walked over and hugged me again. "I was right.." He mumbled, letting go of me. "We should have never let him join the club!" I couldn't tell if he was trying not to cry or not. He looked back at me, by this time I was already back on my feet and no longer requiring support. "If he ever tries to do anything to you again. I promise I will make him regret it." He mumbled. We were silent once more, Zander and Luke comforting me and Sean trying to comfort Milly.

Just then something moved the handle to the music room door. "Alright peeps! Who's ready to rock and r--"