Chapter 43- Morte Et Dabo

"I'm going to go and see who made it back from yesterday's incident. Also, I kinda want to see lil' asskicker." I poke Daryl's firm shoulder at his funny nickname for the baby and chuckle a little. Wait. Is it a boy or a girl? I'll just have to find out for myself. I'm not a huge fan of babies, but I guess I'll have to go see him/her anyway. Babies cry too much for my liking.

We walk into the dull prison and get greeted by small nods and 'morning's by the depressed-looking people seated around the table we eat food at. They're having their breakfast, baked beans. They could have boiled a potato along with it...

I love baked beans. They're so good I can't even begin to explain it. I love breakfast food also. You can have it for lunch or dinner or as a midnight snack. Although it's not really recommended. But screw recommendations.

Daryl closes the rusty red door to the courtyard behind him and leans forward towards my ear to whisper. "I'm gon' look for the rest of our people." I nod uneasily, worry filling me up.

What if something happens to him? What if he gets bitten? What if he gets trapped? What if- "Be careful. I love you." I smile at him insecurely and go on my toes to quickly peck his lips. Damn, I need to get used to saying 'I love you'. It's so weird. I've only ever said it once, and that was to my dog pug when I was like six. I miss my little baby...

He looks at me for a second, his eyes clouding with an emotion I can't read. "Love ya too" he whispers back before setting off into the tombs in his sassy Dixon manner. I hope to God he'll come back alive. Apparently there might be a hole in the building through which the walkers keep coming in. Maybe I'll check it out later on...

But he said 'I love you' back. Well, 'Love ya too' That must mean he does. He wouldn't just say it for fun, would he? He would stay it if he didn't mean it. He's not the type of person to play with people's feelings. If he doesn't like them, he'll tell them.

I walk towards the half-empty metal table and sit between Glenn and Carl. A bowl of baked beans and a spoon are passed down to me and I start to contemplate whether or not I should eat it. I'll just get fatter and Daryl will break up with me... That's not something I'm willing to risk. But I can't get fat from one bowl. Plus, with the running I've been doing lately, I think I'm losing weight.

I stare at the blue bowl, no glare at it, unwillingly attracting the attention of Glenn. He nudges me with his shoulder and glares at me. Has he noticed that I've been eating a little less lately? Oh god, I hope not. It's. It even been that much I've missed out on.

I scowl at the Asian but take an involuntary spoonful and shove it in my mouth. Well, they are baked beans. The beans taste amazing. Man, I love baked beans so fucking much.

As I chew the beans, I take a look around the table. Across from me is an anxious looking Maggie, next to her is an expressionless Carl, playing around with his food. Alex is leaning against Carl,seemingly in deep thought. Glenn's giving Maggie a reassuring smile, but his eyes look anxious as fuck as well.

Beth is next to her sister, feeding the small baby girl with some formula. Must be the one Daryl got yesterday. Did anyone get any baby formula from Wallmart? It's a girl. Another girl at camp. I wonder if I'm going to live to see her grow up. That is, if neither of us die.

But what shocks me the most, is the sight of the puffy-cheeked Gabriel. What got his panties in a twist? Something's wrong. Very fucking wrong. The same feeling I felt when I found out Glenn was shot courses through my body.

"Gabe. What's wrong?" I ask, worry evident in my voice. He looks up at me, tears streaming freely from his apple green eyes. Seriously though. I don't like this feeling. Everyone's been crying lately. I still feel like an emotionless bastard. Maybe I'll just have to wait and then it'll all come in a waterfall of tears.