Chapter 12

After a few more hours of settling in the hospital, I had recovered fully from all but my leg injury which was now minor. Desire had recommended that I leave the casket on, but she stated that the choice was up to me. The first thing that I sought after the hospital was my boyfriend, and he was only a call away.

He answered after the first call, but his voice revealed broad rage. Whatever pissed him off must have pushed him past his limit.

"Baby," I chanted, "I'm out of the hospital!"

"Whatever, Lillian." He growled, "I'm finna kill this boy. He hit my homie Kyle, and now he's making threats to me about banging you."

"Kaleb, please ignore him. You know that I'm only yours, so why does it bother you so much?"

"I don't need you speaking to me if you're going to convince me otherwise."

With that concluding the conversation, he hung the phone up. Worry and confusion brewed in my mind. What if Marcus kills Kaleb? Even worse, what if Kaleb kills Marcus and gets arrested forever? Either way, it's hell!

With shaking hands, I dialed Julie's number. Her phone came to a ring six times, but she answered at the very last second.

"Hello? This is Julie," She addressed.

"Julie, it's me, Lillian! Please help! Kaleb is about to kill Marcus, and no doubt he's bringing Anon!" I cried.

"Huh? You're joking, right? Anon just left. They're not going to kill anyone."

"Kaleb answered me with an attitude. I thought he would be happy to see me, but he's rage-driven, and it's Marcus's fault. Please help him!"

She continued to mock me in disbelief and disagreed on coming to pick me up from the hospital. For ten minutes, there I lay trembling in worry. Sometimes I wish he had just left Kyle alone, and minded his business where he was. It wasn't long before Desire had inched in, wearing her normal clothes instead of a nurse's outfit this time. She had an oversized blue button-up shirt on with brighter blue jeans.

"Heya," She greeted, "I just figured that I would say hello before getting off of work."

"Hey," I replied, "Do you know a guy named Marcus?"

"Marcus? Black dude with a fade? He's one of my brother's closest friends. What's up?"

"Kaleb is going to kill him. I don't know where Marcus is at, or where Kaleb is but I do know that it can only lead downhill if they fight!"

Her eyes widened as she raised her hand to cover her mouth. What had once revealed peace and relief was now exposing the same fear as me. She had never trusted Kaleb to begin with and to see him starting trouble only made it worse.

She rang someone's phone up, and I could hear a deep voice on the other side. From the sound of it, I could only guess that it was Marcus.

"Hello," He said brightly, "What's up, Desire?"

"Marcus," She replied, full of panic, "Some people are on the way to fight you. I need to know your location."

"Who?! I'll smoke them boys, for real. It better not be Kyle."

"No! It's Kaleb and his big muscled friend Anon. Don't you dare try to fight them! Just tell me where you are, doofus!"

"I'm at Walmart. The one that we always used to go to for those hoverboards. I'll be waiting outside, but if Kaleb gets here first with his friend Anon, I'm going to kill him. That's a promise."

She attempted to bribe him, but he resorted to the end button quickly. For a minute, she stood there in shock. Whatever was going through her head must have had her petrified, but I couldn't blame her.

"Come," She ordered, "We're going to beat Anon and Kaleb there."

A relieved smile grew across my face. She had read my mind about what I wanted to do, and I knew for sure that I would receive dire punishment for this but I would rather get beaten than have him dead or in jail. With that being said, Desire grabbed her keys from the front dresser and escorted me out of the automatic hospital doors, leading me to her Porsche. Despite being in a rush, she was still polite enough to open my door for me and make sure that I had my seatbelt on.

She gave me a look before cranking the car. The engine coughed to life and the lights in the car had illuminated our faces, revealing everything on her gauge with a half tank of gas. Without thinking, she floored the gas pedal and we were now zooming out of the parking lot, racing our way down the road.

"You're not afraid of the cops?!" I scream, but she smirked.

"No," She replied, "Cops don't come around here."

My hands were on the dashboard the entire time as she took hard turns and heavy curves without slowing down. Her eyes were glued to the road and her foot to the gas, which brought me to think that this Marcus guy must have meant a lot to her. Never would I drive this fast to save Kaleb's life, but that wouldn't be the case a few years ago.

Walmart came into sight after a good twelve-minute drive, and I could see Kaleb's car parked in the lots. Fear began to crash over me like a tidal wave, for he was nowhere to be seen. It almost felt as if we were too late, but Desire's determination didn't stop there. She parked the car in a handicapped spot and leaped out of the door, rushing her way towards Walmart. I tried to keep up with her, but she was a bit faster than me.

"Desire wait!" I called, but she ignored me. The hoverboard section wasn't far off though, and so I found her with ease. She was embracing Marcus, trying to get him to leave the store as soon as possible.

"Marcus, please!" She hollered, "They're coming! Anon is a bodybuilder! He'll kill you!"

"No Desire," He retorted, "I'm not going down like no punk! You can leave if you're scared!"

All hell had finally broken loose. Both Desire and I saw Anon and Kaleb slide from around the corner with their hands in their pockets. My heart froze over into ice, and my gaze was locked on his fury-driven face. Marcus only made it worse in this manner, and it cost him everything.

"Look who we have here!" Marcus shouted, "Don't get mad because your girl wants me."

He shot a death stare at me, but I couldn't move. I wanted to run away, but I remembered both times that he had yanked me back. This was going to be a bad day at Walmart.