Baby Steps

The next morning was Saturday and I stood in the kitchen making myself breakfast when I heard a small knock on the door. I opened it to find Melody in front of me, holding Alpine. I watched her set Alpine down as he jumped onto Steve's chair, laying down as Melody let herself into the apartment. "Can I help you?" I peeked out into the hall, seeing it empty as I shut the door, turning back to the little girl.

She grinned, shrugging, "mama is asleep. I thought I would come see what you're doing."

"I'm making breakfast. Have you eaten? Do you like eggs?"

Melody nodded, "thank you Bucky."

I sighed, going back to the stove, separating the eggs I made onto two plates. I set the toast I made for myself on her plate as I set it on the table for her. "Here you go. Why are you here? Why aren't you with your mother?"

Melody shrugged, sitting at the table, "she's asleep. She's a nurse and works overnights a lot so she needs her sleep. So I thought I would come bother you."

"I see. And how old are you?" I sat with my own plate across from her as I noticed her eyes slightly resembled Steve's, making me smile.

"I'm 10. How old are you?"

I groaned, "I'm 101." I smiled as she giggled at me, obviously not believing me. "I swear I am."

She nodded, "sure Bucky. You're funny. Can I hang out here for a while until my mom gets up?"

I hesitated, not really wanting to be around anyone, but liking her presence at the same time. "I guess as long as it's okay with your mom."

Melody grinned, "thank you Bucky! Why is your name Bucky?"

I sighed, "my name is James Buchanan Barnes. Bucky is a nickname for my middle name." I shrugged, "call me what you like."

"Okay."

I nodded, going back to finishing my eggs before setting my stuff in the sink. I watched her do the same as she finished before pulling a book off the shelf, sitting in Steve's chair with Alpine to read quietly. I shrugged, going to the kitchen to do the dishes quickly before grabbing my own book to read on the couch in a comfortable silence. I heard Steve's phone ding, pulling it from my pocket to see a new message from Steve on Sam's phone.

Sam
Hope to be back tonight
Are you okay?
I miss you 143

Bucky
I'm fine
Met the neighbors
143

Sam
Neighbors?!

Bucky
I'm fine Steve
Everything is fine
Hope to see you tonight

Sam
Alright
Later

"So you live here with another man?"

I look up at Melody to see she was watching me text Steve. "I do. Why?"

She shrugged, "no reason. Is he your boyfriend?"

I stiffened up at the personal question from this child. "I... I don't think it's any of your business."

Melody smiled, "okay. It's okay if he is. Mom says we should all be free to love who we want as long as we aren't causing harm to anyone in doing so."

I felt myself blush slightly as I sighed, going back to my book. I don't know how long the silence wore on, but I heard the apartment door open to find Claire enter, "by all means. Come in."

She laughed, "sorry. She left a note saying she was over here. I hope she isn't bothering you."

I stood up, putting my metal arm behind my back, "she's been fine. I fed her breakfast and she's just been reading."

"Thank you so much Bucky."

"She's welcomed here anytime." I pointed to the door, "but I must insist on the knocking."

Claire blushed slightly, "right. Sorry." She looked at Melody, "come on little one."

I see her hesitate with the book in her hand, "take it. Bring it back when you finish and you can grab another." I pointed to the ceiling to floor bookshelves Steve had installed for us, "we have plenty of books."

Melody grinned, "okay! Thank you Bucky!"

I froze as she approached me, hugging me before I could react, making me blush slightly. If either of them had known even a quarter of the things I had done, they surely wouldn't have been so open and nice to me. I only nodded as she pulled away, leaving the apartment with her mother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I entered the apartment late, seeing my phone on the kitchen counter. I set the new phone I got for Bucky beside it before taking off my shoes. I set them neatly next to the door before going to Bucky's room to find it empty. I started to panic before standing in the doorway of my own room to find Bucky asleep on my bed. The blanket was pulled up just to his hips, a white cat nestled next to his chest. I got undressed, crawling into bed next to him as I felt him stir, moving against me instinctually. "When did we get a cat?" I heard him chuckle softly, his voice gruff from being half asleep.

"He belongs to the neighbor. He likes me."

"I see that. I missed you." I heard a soft moan escape his chest as I wrapped my arm around him.

"I missed you too Stevie. I love you."

I sighed, resting my head on his, "I love you too." I knew we still had a lot to work through, but just him saying it out loud was a giant step forward. I closed my eyes, feeling content as we drifted off to sleep.