16: The Crone

Juray used her senses to follow the trail countless tiny feet had followed. The swamps she found herself in felt wrong, evil. Much different from the last time she was here. She could sense monsters all around her, including a werewolf nearby. He looked up at her as she approached, her silver sword drawn, but made no move to attack.

"Who are you?" he asked.

"You know who I am," Juray said. "And why I'm here."

"I do. You needn't... I'm no longer a threat. I starve, for the swamp is poisoned. I've no strength to hunt humans."

"Crone summon you?"

"In my sleep... once I had wolf dreams. Now I dream hunger, pain, and blood."

"Where is she?"

The werewolf motioned deeper into the swamp. "Out there... in the swamp." He eyed her drawn sword. "Is there no other way?"

"There's one. Find the Crone, guide me through the swamp – to her."

"And then?"

"Then I'll see."

"Uh..." The werewolf seemed to want to hope he'd be spared, but Juray could tell he shouldn't have that hope. "The Crone, what's she done to you?"

"Stole something precious from a friend. I aim to get it back and finish what she started."

"Heed my words. The Crone will fight like a wounded wolverine. She may cripple, even kill you..."

"I am well aware of that."

"Yet you wish to go anyway?"

"I do. She is a threat I cannot allow to remain."

The werewolf didn't have an answer for her.

"What's your name, werewolf?"

"Berem."

"Lead me to the Crone, Berem."

Berem nodded and turned, leading Juray deeper into the swamp.

"There's a wolf den nearby," Berem said as they walked. "Wolf cubs inside. Carry them out of the swamp. They'll not survive here, or they'll change into something... evil." He then stopped. Sniffing the air. "I sense a wolf... and men."

"How many?"

"Ten, no more."

"Stay out of it. You'll only be killed in your weakness."

Juray approached the hunters' camp. Sure enough, there were ten men, and a few hounds, sitting about the camp. Nearby, a she-wolf was caught in a bear trap, struggling and raging. Juray felt this was the cubs' mother, fighting to return to her children.

"Who are you?" one of the hunters asked.

"Who I am doesn't matter. What are you doing out in a poisoned swamp?"

"A she-wolf's been on the hunt for the last few days. Killed a cow, wounded a man. So we set some traps."

"Stupid beast walked right into one," another hunter laughed. "Once she tires, we'll set the 'ounds on 'er, have us a wolf-baitin'."

Juray's eyes never left the wolf. "Release her."

"She's not weakened yet."

"She's ragin', knows she's as good as dead but has yet to accept it."