Hungry Hearts

CHAPTER 1: HUNGRY HEARTS

=×=

Clay's POV

Everyone says that getting over somebody 'just takes time' and that one day it will stop hurting and the door will open for you to move on.

We are also told that love is eternal; something extraordinary that will stay with you forever. However, after a break up, suddenly love becomes something you should get over once a little time has passed.

The contradiction is immense. It's like being stabbed in the heart, but not with a knife, but with words. And right now, I was somewhere in the middle.

Hi, it's me. Cline Charlotte Carrington. But mostly, people call me Clay. 

ψ

The sudden ringing of my phone woke me up. Someone's calling me and I just know it's a call since I set two different ringtones for my call and alarm. And I just know who it is. There's only one person who comes to my mind when it comes to bothering me in the morning. 

Marie Avgeropoulos has been my best friend ever since we were a baby. Long story short, her mother is also best friends' with my mother. They got pregnant the same year, learned that they're both gonna have a girl, thought that it was a good idea to make us wear the same outfits so they did, and for those who'd dare to look at our baby album would surely mistake us as twins. 

The two of us were always together until we moved out of the country and it wasn't till four years ago that we settled back in.

My phone rang for about three times now, and if I were the Old Me, I would have answered it by now as I jogged and sweated towards the boardwalk. But here I am, lying on the bed with no intention of picking the ringing phone up or even the intention to get up this bed. 

Thankfully, my phone stopped ringing . . . or not.

Irritated, I groaned and rolled over to the right side of the bed. With my eyes closed, I searched for my phone. I felt a clock, a book, my walkman, and finally my phone. I peaked to answer the call and immediately cringed at the light hitting my eye.

"Hello?" I said in a sleepy tone only to be met by a loud squealing from the other side.

"Red! Are you awake? For the love of God, please tell me you're awake. If you're not, I will come over there and beat your ass!"

"Let me sleep for twenty more minutes then I'll get up." I groaned. 

"Bitch, wake the fuck up! It's our first day of senior year!" She squeals again. "Clay, are you still there? Oh my God! Are you even listening?"

"Mm-hmm." I hummed as an answer even though I'm not resolved to get up anytime now. I slept a little late last night, well not just last night, sleeping late had become my routine. "Give me five more minutes then I'll get up."

"Fine." She groaned audibly. "I'll give you your five minutes. Then you'll get up and get ready for school. Then come and pick me up."

"How come we're already in our senior year yet you still don't know how to drive a car?"

"Driving a stick is hard you know."

"And an automatic." I added. Marie failed miserably on the driving test. She crashed the drive-test car into two cars two times. 

"Just hurry the fuck up." She responded irritatingly.

I rolled on my back. "Yeah, yeah."

There was a moment of silence that I thought that call had ended. I went to look if the call was still on going when I heard her voice again.