chapter 3: unpredictable

note:

inumaki: *exists*
me: >////<

━━༻❁༺━━

THE SMELL OF iodine was strong in the all-white room and stung your nose as you inhaled. The marble walls, floor, and ceiling blinded you as you opened your eyes.

Your ears hurt and you realized that you had been sleeping with your glasses on. You didn't didn't remove them, though, since you were in an unfamiliar room.

A woman walked in — Ieiri-san. She had a stethoscope around her neck and a small smile grew on her face the moment your eyes met.

That surprised you. Usually people would be wary whenever they come into a room with you, unsure whether your glasses were on or not. But the doctor had completely put her guard down.

It almost made you uneasy.

"Hello." She said your name and you wondered whether Gojo had told her.

"Inumaki-san!" You said, a little too loud, sitting up in your bed. "How is he?" You recalled him being severely injured from yesterday's mission — using his voice costed him and you couldn't help but feel immensely responsible.

She sighed and placed a hand on your chest, laying you back onto the bed. "He's alright, though his throat was really messed up and the coagulated blood almost choked him. I cleaned it but he's unconscious now."

You could only stare in disbelief, heavy guilt wracking your body.

"Thank you, Ieiri-san." You only said, and turned to look out of the window, solemnly.

The woman walked away from you to check your vitals from a beeping machine. "You are a very gentle person, you know?" She said, suddenly.

You almost choked when you heard it. "P-pardon?" You asked, surprised by the sudden statement.

She smiled, weakly. "You are checking up on a comrade even though you are also injured." She chuckled and looked back at the wires, plugging them into another machine. "Although Satoru may not think so, selflessness is a virtue when it comes to Jujutsu Sorcery. You just have to apply it correctly."

You could only nod. Nothing she was saying made sense to you, but you figured if you nodded along, she would be appeased.

Ieiri laughed again. "It was only your eyes that were injured — the capillaries burst under pressure from your cursed energy. I think it was because the curse you were fighting was of a really high grade."

Your eyes widened. So that's why my tears were always mixed with blood whenever I used my technique as a kid. You thought, bitterly.

"You're feeling better right? I suppose I can let you go just before lunchtime..." She trailed off, bringing a finger to her cheek in thought.

"A-and Inumaki-san?!" You asked, your cheeks turning slightly red.

The woman sighed. "I'm not sure. But you can come and visit him whenever — can't guarantee he'll be awake, though."

You nodded and thanked her, zoning off again while looking out of the window. Down in the field, you could make out the figures of Maki and Panda, training.

It was barely noticeable, but their movements were mildly sluggish, as if they had something on their minds that was bothering them. You furrowed your eyebrows.

I'll ask them about it later.

━━༻❁༺━━

A FEW HOURS passed by like years in your mind and you were finally discharged from the sanatorium building.