Chapter 2

James

Running back to my home full of excitement from my catch, not giving it a second thought of how I caught my prey.

 I slowly approach the edge of the building nearly dangling off the edge of the city into complete darkness. I cross the ledge into a area that is hidden, and light the garbage inside a pothole surrounded by broken stools and ripped sofa's to create a small fire.  Then hear a noise.

I turn to the noise slowly stepping back and grabbing a steel pipe laying around. Rattling seem to approach me and I grip tighter onto the pipe ready to strike.

And from the shadows.

Angel

 "Relax loser its just me"

She slowly approaches showing her contraption dragging tin cans of left over pet food opened with bits of pieces of food remaining, that she used to catch a live cat.

James

The rat in my hand still alive reacts to the sight of the animal and squeal's while shaking aggressively. 

"You used my parts to make another piece of garbage?" I throw the rat into a barrel that is connected to tubing that leads into a dented and rusted canister. I turn a handmade switch that releases a gas.

Angel

Dropping the cage close by the fire, I sit on the edge of the sofa dangling my feet 

"Do you really think its safe if we eat animals that are poison and killed by the toxin that those people use on us" 

The open area stays quiet enough to hear the rats cries inside the container.

"Why cant you just kill them like normal people do, I always have to do it for you and you have got so stubborn that you have gone starving these past few days because you cant be a man."

I press a button releasing spikes into the cage that instantly kill my catch

James

I close my eyes and jump a little from the sound of its death.

"You do things your way and ill do it mine." I continue to monitor the rat in a glass opening on the top as it lays down and twitches.

Then stops.

Noise from an upcoming Helicopter closes in and we both get startled looking at each other, we both run to a small opening in a brick wall hiding inside watching the sky filled with Helicopters through small openings.

Hearing the cries of near by people and gun fire I start to get a panic attack and began to breathe heavy, my ears filled with ringing noise. Angel shuts my ears and we both hold onto each other till the noises fade away. 

Once we were sure it was clear we both got out and I observe the outside through another opening towards the entrance. I lay my hand on the wall looking slightly back 

"Thank you" I whisper

Angel 

" You sure you're not willing to share?" I lay the corpse on a metal sheet with holes over the fire to cook 

I turn around to see James just standing in front of the container

"James?" 

Silence

"James what's wrong?" I get up and walk over seeing a shocked and scared expression on his face that I have never seen before.

looking into the container to see the rat is still alive.