𝟎𝟎𝟓. investigating

"YOUR IMPERIAL MAJESTY!" Lady Odelia called as she arrived at the Empress's study, "Her Majesty requests you come to the Harem this instant!"

Araminta, drowning in work, perked up, "Is something the matter?"

"A rock was thrown at Lord Guesta! Her Majesty must want you to investigate the matter!"

"I understand," Araminta nodded, getting up from the desk and with a group of ladies-in-waiting, Araminta made her way to the donut-shaped building within the palace walls. 

When she arrived, Araminta greeted Latil and the consorts greeted her. Everyone seemed to be in silence until her arrival as Latil began to speak, "Guesta was hit by a rock that someone threw at him. You must all have heard the news by now since the incident occurred within the harem,"

Araminta sighed and placed a hand on Latil's shoulder and shook her head before stepping in, "The Emperor and I will not ask you all to get along, because we know that is never going to be possible. However, it would be greatly appreciated if no blood is spilled,"

Araminta then smiled, "Therefore, if another incident occurs and we cannot identify the offender. You all will have to face the consequences as a group," Araminta noticed a few people snickering, "Do not think to laugh off the consequences ──"

"The Harem is shaped like a donut is it not?" Latil mused, cutting Araminta off, "You may think it is a cute shape now ── but I can assure you that you will feel quite differently once you've run so many laps around that donut that your soul attempts to escape out of your mouth,"

Araminta sighed, and quietly whispered to Latil, "You aren't training a gang of mercenaries or an order of nights. You mustn't threaten corporal punishment," 

"These aren't women, their men," Latil replied, "I'm sure a little corporal punishment would only make their bodies more desirable,"

Araminta started to cough, as Latil laughed and handed her a handkerchief. "Come, my empress. Shall we go for a walk?" Latil smiled brightly, she then turned to the consorts, "Keep what I just said in mind," Araminta sighed and nodded as Latil happily took Araminta's hand and led her out of the harem. 

As the pair of girls walked hand in hand around the grounds, Latil watched Araminta intently as the blonde-haired beauty looked around the grounds, admiring all the kinds of flowers. "You're very peculiar, do you know that, Minty?" 

Araminta frowned and looked at Latil who was a head taller than her, "No...? I'm peculiar?"

Latil burst out into laughter at how oblivious Araminta could be. "Very peculiar," Latil nodded, Araminta seemed troubled at the statement and Latil just started laughing again, "It's a good thing, don't trouble yourself,"

Araminta sighed and nodded. Sometimes, she had a hard time understanding people, their words, or their actions sometimes. "Peculiar..." she grumbled, she then paused, "Tonight, who will you be spending the night with, Your Majesty?"

Latil sighed, not having thought about it, "Perhaps it is best you spend the night with Guesta," Araminta continued, "To make sure he's alright after the incident. Plus, you haven't spent a night with him, yet,"

Latil nodded in agreement, "You are correct, per usual. I shall spend the night with Guesta," Araminta smiled and nodded, "It's getting late, Minty. Let me walk you back to your residence then I shall go to the harem,"

──── The Next Morning, the first thing Araminta did was send Guesta a gift. As usual, she attended to her empress duties. But before she could even properly start, the head butler approached her, "Your Majesty, Her Majesty wishes to see you,"

"For what reason?" Araminta asked

"I believe it has something to do with the incident that occurred at the palace of lions,"

"I understand," Araminta nodded as she followed the head butler to where Latil was. When she entered, she was greeted by Tasir, Sir Sonnaught, and Latil.

"My Empress, please ── sit," Latil said, standing up and pulling out a chair for Araminta. After she stelled down. Latil turned to Tasir, "Now, tell me,"

"Should they be here, your majesty...?" Tasir asked, obviously talking about Araminta and Sir Sonnaught

"They are the people I trust most," Latil replied

"If you say so, your majesty," Tasir shrugged, "The reason we suspected that you were behind the assassination of your father was because of an order we received before it happened. His Late Majesty ordered us to investigate you when you were a princess,"

Araminta's eyes widened but her face remained the same. And secretly, a million thoughts were running through her head, "What did he want you to look into?" Latil asked, "Why would he ask you to do that?"

"He never revealed his reasons to us. Perhaps he simply wanted to know as much as possible about you before you were crowned," Tasir said, "Soon after that, his late majesty was assassinated and because of the unfortunate timing, we had no choice but to suspect you,"

"Then why did you become my consort? Even if you could not approach me during my coronation, you had many other ways," Latil asked

"According to our research, the back forest was able to confirm that you had nothing to do with his murder. After that, I was looking for a way to approach you inconspicuously and──" Tasir cut himself off with a shrug

"Did the head of the Anghes trading company order you to do this?" Araminta asked

"No, your majesty. My father has no knowledge of the black forest. My family has been at the head of the organization, but it was a relative that passed the leadership to me," Tasir answered, "The Black Forest swore its loyalty to the emperor of Tarium, but it is not beholden to the throne. Instead, it's more akin to a close partnership,"

Latil rubbed her forehead, "First, bring me the documents that prove the Black Forest's loyalty to the emperors of Tarium," Tasir smiled and disappeared

"Isn't that interesting?" Araminta finally said, snickering

"Pardon me?" Sir Sonnaught asked as Latil also began to snicker

"Minty means the consorts. I noticed when they were walking in earlier that their personalities were evident even in their gaits," Latil nodded, "Very interesting,"