seven

Phil is the one to break the awkward silence. "How 'bout I give you a tour of the castle, how's that sound?"

You stare at him for a split second, trying to figure out if he is being serious or not. He seems to be, but you're not one hundred percent.

"Uh-...no um I think I'll pass," you chuckle awkwardly. "I- uh it's probably time for me to leave anyway."

You notice Techno's smirk falter for a second, then he quickly masks it under your wavering gaze. Phil almost appeared to be shocked at what you had said but regathered himself within moments.

"I insist, it's the least I could do."

Least you could do? We just met-

"Oh- uh no sorry, I still think I should get out of your hair," you stammer, unease gnawing at your gut like a dog with its favourite toy.

"Please, I insist. At least let me introduce you to my wife," Phil beamed. Something felt awfully off to you, like something was going on that everyone but you was aware of, which could actually be more than possible.

"Um- n-no, I think I'm just gonna leave-"

"-It would be rude to refuse a king," Techno interrupted, his expression unreadable.

You stopped for a second, letting the panic seep further into your nerves as you weighed your options.

You could make a run for it, but chances are they would chase – and there was no chance of outrunning either. You could agree and go take the tour, but that didn't seem like a good choice. But also by that logic, you could go, then sneak off? No, if you snuck off in the castle they would find you easily – they probably know it like the back of their hand.

Agreeing and going seemed like the only viable option, so-

"Earth to Y/N?" Technoblade waved his hand dramatically across your vision.

"Hmm? Oh- yeah uh I'll go," you internally cringe knowing that the smile on your face had to look as fake as it felt.

"Ah, that's great to hear mate. I promise she doesn't bite," Phil smiles, beginning to walk in the direction you assume to be the castle. Techno gently nudges your arm to follow, then falls in step with you. It's silent for a while, the only noises being the early morning birds chirping to...do whatever birds do in the morning and the crunch of the gravel underfoot.

Eventually, Technoblade clears his throat, and you can't seem to figure out if he wants your attention or if he was just literally clearing his throat. He doesn't speak after, so you assume he was just clearing his airways.

"Everythin' alright?" Techno asks, breaking the fragile dawn peace. You hum slightly and nod, afraid your voice would do something stupid and give away how you really felt. "You sure?"

"Yes," you squeak, your voice quieter than you had anticipated. He doesn't look satisfied with your answer but drops it anyway.

You walk for a few more minutes but rapidly approach the castle gates. Phil stops ahead, waiting for the pair of you to catch up.

When you are by his side again, he pushes open the metal frames and holds them for you to walk in. You hesitate for a second but step through. Your little slip up goes unnoticed, which you are very grateful for.

"I insisted on not having the gates here so the townsfolk can visit our gardens. They are my pride and joy – apart from my kids of course," Phil chuckles. "But my wife was stern on having some sort of fencing around the place. She is usually pretty lenient, but this was the one thing she wouldn't budge on."