𝐈𝐈𝐈 : 𝐓𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐝𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐍𝐞𝐞𝐝𝐥𝐞

Eren stole himself into your room before he departed at dawn. He woke you with a brush on the shoulder and a pat on the cheek. "I'm leaving," he said. "Am I going to see you later today, or must I wait until I'm more worthy of your time than your precious Mr. Arlert?"

Your voice creaked and cracked as you attempted to push air between the sleep cords, "You're always worthy, but I can't promise anything. There's no telling what nonsense French boar will put me through."

"He looks more like a horse than a boar, sleepyhead," Eren quipped. "You know what we should do?"

"What?"

"We'll give him a nickname: Horseface. He may be able to hide his dickish behavior under his French, but we can hide, too."

Before bed, you had told Eren of the rude things Mr. Kirstein said during your trip to his cabin. Fury filled the heart of your closest friend, and he nearly descended to the waterfront to assault the artist himself. A fistfight would have ensued if you had not pleaded for the matter to be put to bed. In truth, you did not concern yourself with Mr. Kirstein's words after the initial shock subsided. You would treat him like any other rude man and only offer kindness if the situation should necessitate. You also had a bargaining chip now that Niccolo would toss the brute from the house should you give the word.

"That is a terrible thing to do." Your eyes smoldered in wicked joy.

"Well, I learned how to be terrible from you." Eren ruffled your hair and slipped into the shadows of the hall.

Already fully awake, thanks to Eren's departure, you began your morning preparations earlier than usual. When you reached the kitchen, you were entirely alone. Looking out the window, morning dew collected on the greenery, and mist rose from the water. Niccolo came down when he smelled your fire smoke through the house. You worked alongside each other in perfect harmony to prepare a light breakfast.

"You can leave Jean's cup here with me," he told you. "If he's still anything like the boy I once knew, he is even more ill-tempered after he wakes."

You almost considered following his directions but decided to take the other teacup and saucer anyway. You placed the set, a full teapot, and a sugar bowl onto your tray and moseyed through the morning dew to the cabins. You squinted the entirety of the short walk down as the sun blinded every creature it blazed into. Stopping at Mr. Arlert's door, you knocked with the tip of your toes, seeing as your hands were full.

"Mr. Arlert! Tea!"

The door opened, and the author greeted you with a warm smile. "Good morning, my dear. I hope you slept well," he said, stepping aside for you to place the tray on his table.

"As well as I could hope. Niccolo is still finishing breakfast inside, but I can leave an extra cup with you should Mr. Kirstein want something to drink before heading up."

Mr. Arlert sat in front of your tray as he prepared his cup with three spoonfuls of sugar. "Thank you. I'm sure he will appreciate your thoughtfulness. Please, sit." Taking one of the three available seats, you sat across from the author. "I do hope you can forgive Jean's behavior last night. He truly is a kind man when his spirits are good. This last year... it has not been easy on his soul."

You leaned in, your nosiness feeding your words. "Not to stick my nose where it doesn't belong, but may I ask what has made him so bitter?"

"He may tell you himself if he feels the need, but discussing his affairs is not my place. Just know that he is not as cruel as he pretends to be. I'm sure you know that Sasha would not have befriended him if he was always so unpleasant."