Bug Spray

Note - This was intended to be more of a 'crack' one-shot than anything concrete but you can use the idea in your own stories if you want to.

||=====||=====||

Le Papillon stood in Nathalie's room, arms wrapped around her as he laid her in the bed.

"You need to leave," she hissed at him.

"But it's my fault!"

"What if Adrien sees you?"

"You're more important right now. Besides, he's got that meeting with his friends today so he shouldn't be home for a while."

Nathalie managed to crack a smile. "I thought you needed me to know his schedule."

"I've been working on managing without you."

"Oh sure you have." She joked with him but was honestly quite worried that she was replaceable.

Papillon lightly kissed her on the cheek. "I'll be right back."

"You better return in a different getup."

"Where's the fun in that?"

Nathalie quirked an eyebrow. "Are you feeling alright? Usually you're more careful." She tried to remember what today's Akuma was, there'd been so many lately though, and it should already have been cured by the ladybugs.

"It's nothing."

Had Nathalie been more of the hopeful type, she might have realized that he was worried about her. After all, she'd collapsed as Mayura, and next thing she could remember was Papillon running across Paris with his jacket - when had he even removed that? - covering her...

Nathalie's thoughts were scattered when her eyes opened to the sound of something heavy being set down, though when had she fallen asleep again? Today really wasn't her day.

Soft notes began to waft through the room, the heavy object now realized to be a piano.

||=====||

"Nathalie! Are you okay?"

"Wh- Adrien?" Nathalie didn't understand why she kept falling asleep.

"Papillon! Why are you here?"

Her eyes widened, the sight of wild blond hair and shiny metal helmet in the same room causing her to startle awake.

"I- I was stealing a piano!"

Adrien stared at him, not sure how to react.

Nathalie groaned, a headache looming. "You're an idiot and I've got- bug spray. Yeah. Go, shoo, before I strike."

Papillon jumped a bit at the tone she took, though quickly took the chance to exit out the window.

Adrien gaped at Nathalie. "How? You're amazing! But bug spray?"

She shrugged and yawned. "He's a butterfly, it was a logical guess."

As if he could tell she needed to be left alone, Adrien went quiet and left the room, closing the door softly.

Gorilla could help put the piano back later.

||=====||

Nathalie clutched her cup of coffee tightly. Gabriel had started to refuse it for her but now all she wanted was for him to show up and take it from her hands.

"-bug and Chat Noir appear to have cornered Le Papillon, but we have no idea what may be up his sleeve right now. We'll keep the updates coming but, until then, Don't be bemused, it's just the news!"

A quiet scream of anguish escaped her. Nathalie couldn't stand up for very long, let alone go back out as Mayura, and there her - her crush was, facing danger that she couldn't help him with. She would never admit it, but she was scared that, one day, being the villain he was would tear him further from his son, and from her. But she couldn't tell him, not when it was his comatose wife he was fighting for.

Duusu gently landed on her shoulder, the Kwami offering what comfort it could.

Nathalie, attention focused on the TV, startled, coffee falling from her shaking hands and burning her lap.

Gorilla, tasked with keeping an eye on her for Gabriel when he wasn't needed for Adrien, barged in when he heard her shriek, Duusu quickly hiding.

At least Gabriel didn't have to worry about her right now, if he'd barged in, she'd probably be a crying mess and hugging him.

Gorilla carefully moved her to the bathroom, handing her one of many clothing sets that had been tied together for convenience, before turning his attention to the bed. Cleaning wasn't his forte but his boss only had a few servants down in the kitchens, he actually preferred cleaning himself, when he had the time.

||=====||

When Papillon finally made it home, he went through the first window he could, costume fading away as he collapsed to the ground. His whole body stung, like being hit by the Bee but worse, since it wouldn't go away.

Nathalie stirred a little. She'd needed so much sleep lately, even coffee wasn't helping her stay awake. She hadn't used the miraculous in a while, even after it was fixed, but she was hopeful it was just a temporary relapse.

Gabriel froze in place. He hadn't intended to land in her room but he couldn't think straight right now, and she was asleep. How could he let her worry about him while she was in such a state? He couldn't, that was it, and had to get out of the room before she woke up. But each movement hurt and it wasn't long before he was leaning against the bed post, almost having fallen on the bed. Eyes clenched shut, he didn't notice the movement, though he did hear it.

"Sir... what's wrong..?"

"No... it's nothing... don't worry about me..." It was all he could do to not let himself fall over.

"No, no... sit down. Please..."

Slowly opening his eyes, he was met with a stare of fear and worry, and so he listened, allowing himself to collapse on the bed next to her. Gabriel hardly even processed the fact that Nathalie was gently removing his jacket and shirt, not until a sharp intake of breath was audible.

Nathalie quickly deposited the clothes on the nightstand, her right hand gingerly settling on his back. Lines of shimmering scales were present but that was not her worry, no, it was the rash that worked its way up around his neck and down his arms, leaking onto his back.

For once, there was something his suit hadn't protected against, what if there were other dangers he couldn't be safe from?

"Nathalie?" He winced as he turned his neck to look at her.

Before she could respond, the door burst open with hardly a knock.

"Nathalie Nathalie! You were right! He can't stand bug spray! He started coughing and- woah. Dad? What happened?"

Gabriel was glad his back was to the door, the vivid purple scales far more visible than he would have liked.

"I think there was something in that latest shipment of clothes. If you can, please ask Gorilla or someone else to bring some rash cream, I'll get things set up with the dry-cleaners in the meantime." She hated how easily lying came to her, but she couldn't let Adrien find out, not without his father's permission.

Adrien turned to leave, though not before pausing for a moment. "I hope this passes quickly, father, that looks painful."

Gabriel managed to nod. "Thank you, son."