The Bears of Applewoods

Orson was thankful the storms had passed; he was worried about how much the lightning had frightened Jane. He looked over at Wendy, who flew just ahead of Archibald, to watch his new friend dig through the satchel. It looked like she had found something to drink.

He calculated when they'd arrive at Applewoods yet again. The time wasn't any different than what he'd estimated five times before: about an hour before sunset. He was tired of traveling and longed to do something. Anything. Even take on a dragon.

He sighed and lay back, tucking his hands under his head, and watched the clouds. The sun was warm, his feather bed soft, and the temperature just right. It didn't take long for him to doze off. He slept until he felt Archibald bank sharply.

"Wake up, my friend!" called the big bird back to him. "We've arrived, and it looks like we have a welcome party."

Orson peered over Archibald's shoulder to see a group of bears waiting for them, muzzles raised to the sky, watching their descent. He hoped it wasn't a bad sign.

Fortunately, there was a pond off to the north of the orchard where the swans could glide gently to a halt, then swim for shore. By the time they reached the bank, the group of bears was making their way to meet them. Orson couldn't help but wonder if they would be friendly or not. Either way, he felt it would be best to meet them standing on solid ground, so he expertly slid from Archibald's back to land spryly on his feet beside his friend.

"Hey, Archibald," he said quietly. "Don't shrink down yet. We don't know if they're going to ask us to leave or not."

The swan nodded. "Good call. Wendy, the ol' girl, will follow my lead."

When Jane slid off Wendy, with Shelly on her shoulder, she made her way over to him. She immediately picked up on his mood. "Is there something wrong?"

Orson looked at her and tried to smile. "I don't know. The bears and my father have a history of conflict. I don't know if they will extend that to me immediately or if they will be willing to take me at face value."

"Oh," Jane said in a quiet voice. "So, they might ask us to leave?"

"If they're nice, they'll only ask. We will, of course, leave if they do."

The bears' expressions were impossible to read. It was a good sign, however, that they didn't seem to be armed. A bear with a pitchfork was a ferocious thing. Still, knives could be hidden in clothing, and these bears were well dressed.

When the small sleuth of bears stopped some distance from them, the biggest one, whom Orson presumed to be the leader, stepped forward. He did the same, and they met. Not knowing exactly what to say, Orson decided honesty was the best policy.

Extending his hand in greeting, he said, "Hello. I am Orson Thomas. I displeased my father, and he sent me on a quest as punishment. I hope you won't hold my relations against my friends and me."

The large brown bear dressed in a yellow vest and red pants looked him up and down. He made no move to take Orson's offered hand. "So, what did you do to piss off the high and mighty Mr. Thomas?" he asked with a chest-rattling voice.

Orson chuckled and gave him a lopsided grin. "I missed a beanstalk and let an Englishwoman into the castle. It was completely unintentional, but you know my father."

"Indeed, I do know your father, to my great displeasure."

Another smaller bear joined them. "What do they want, Johnathon?" she asked. Orson noted how her blue dress accented the fact she had blue eyes.

Jonathon sighed and rolled his eyes. "I haven't gotten that far, Arleen."

"Well, what are you waiting for?" Arleen demanded before she focused her intense gaze on Orson. "What do you want?"