3. Nightmares

A/N- See my headcannon book for Blood Breathing details.

Narrator POV

-------------------

I opened my eyes as I felt a hand gently shaking me awake.

"Um, Y/N-chan?" A soft voice asked me, "I know this may sound like a childish question, but can I sleep with you tonight? I-I had a bad dream and I had trouble going-"

"Mhm, yeah whatever," I replied far too tired to know who it was. It was probably one of the younger girls that got scared of a nightmare and wanted some comfort.

I felt the person awkwardly climb into my bed and lay there next to me. They tossed and turned quite a bit until I said:

"Would you please stop moving around?  The bed is small and it's getting hot." 

"S-sorry..." The person mumbled. They said something else, but I drifted off to sleep as they did. I didn't hear it well, but it was something about me.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

"Y/N-chan?" A voice nervous called out to you.

"Hm? What is it?" You asked as you turned around to face Kanae, the girl you've been crushing on for the longest time. She looked nervous, which surprised you because Kanae was usually never nervous and incredibly outgoing. 

"Um, can I ask you something?" Kanae asked as light pink blush grew across her cheeks, "And you won't get mad?" 

"I would never get mad at you," You replied reassuringly. Kanae seemed to fidget with her hands a bit until she finally gained the confidence to speak.

"D-do you want to be my girlfriend?" Kanae asked so softly that you could barely hear her. But you did.

You lowered your head as you simply nodded. You felt your cheeks redden as you responded with "I would like that."

You didn't have to look at her to know that Kanae was beaming with happiness. You felt her gentle arms engulf you into a warm hug, and for one moment, it felt as though all of your injuries from final selection had disappeared. Your childhood crush was hugging you. But there was just one thing. She wasn't your crush anymore. After so many years of admiring her from a distance, she was finally more than a crush. She was your girlfriend. Soon enough, a salty tear slid down your cheek. Followed by another. And another. And another, up until to the point you were crying. You cried into the taller girl's collar bone as she giggled a bit.

"Why're you crying?" Kanae asked with a kind chuckle, "Isn't this a happy moment?"

"It is," You said in between sniffles, "I just love you so much."

"I love you too," Kanae said as she wrapped her arms around you tighter. You hugged her back as you were basking in your new girlfriend's warmth. The moment felt as though it could've lasted forever. And it could've until Kanae's warmth was replaced with a cold draft. 'What...? Where'd Kanae go?' You thought as you looked around frantically. A bead of sweat dropped from your temple as you stare into the darkness.

"Hello?" You asked, but the only response was your voice echoing through the empty abyss.

You wandered around for a bit until you heard a faint voice off in the distance. 'It sounds almost like Shinobu's voice...but different. Like she's straining it.' You thought as you walked towards the voice. Soon, the words became clear to you. It was Shinobu.