The Things We Can't Change ≫ Leafpool x Female! Medicine Cat! Reader (PLATONIC)

Art: AngelDalet

⚠️ Warnings ⚠️
• Some angst

****

You padded into the medicine den, dragging your paws as if they were made of stone. Leafpool was sitting with her back to you, deep in concentration as she separated the raspberry leaves from their stems. You stood still at the den entrance, watching your mentor with a sick feeling in your stomach. What if she disowned you for what you were about to tell her? You had always been close with the older medicine cat, and you couldn't stand the thought of never speaking to her again. Leafpool finally became aware of your presence, and looked over her shoulder.

"Hello, (Y/N)," She greeted you with a warm smile. "I see you've found some borage. Well done!" You slowly padded over to her side abs dropped the thick bundle of leaves on the ground, pawing at them absentmindedly. Borage. What we give queens after kitting. "(Y/N)? Are you alright?" You came back to reality, and upon your arrival, you noticed the slight tremble in your bones. You weren't sure if that was what alerted your mentor to your condition, or the obvious change of your nose's color.

"I don't know," You confessed quietly, still lightly pawing at the herbs. "Leafpool... What happens when medicine cats have kits?" The tabby she-cat froze for a moment, and you looked up to see her amber eyes widen with something distant, as if she was staring at something only she could see.

"W-well," She began, swallowing as if she had a tough bite of freshkill stuck in her throat. "I suppose it depends on several things. For one, clan leaders typically decide what happens to cats who have broken the code, and it could be anything from a minor punishment to exile. Most cats in that situation get lucky, I think. Clans need as many cats as they can possibly get, so I assume the leader would consider new kits a blessing." She paused, taking a deep breath and steadying herself. "At least, I hope they would." She got her bearings back and turned to face you again, her amber eyes still cloudy. "Why do you ask?"

You started to sob. "I'm sorry, Leafpool... I made a mistake... A bad one... I messed up so bad... I'm so stupid!" Just then, Jayfeather walked in, his ears twitching. He blinked several times, alternating between swiveling his head toward you, then at Leafpool.

"I'll just... Go." Then, he disappeared back through the lichen with an irritated mutter. "She-cats."

Leafpool pressed herself close to you, gently pulling you into an embrace. "It's alright, (Y/N). What's going on?" You looked up at her, struggling to focus on her blurry face. She stared back at you, fear and confusion swimming in her amber eyes.

"L-Leafpool... I'm- I'm pregnant!" You wailed, doubling over as if a boulder had fallen onto your shoulders. "This... This wasn't supposed to happen! We were careful! O-or, I... Thought we were..."

Your former mentor shook her head in a state of astonishment, working her jaw as if trying to find the right words to say. "O-okay... (Y/N), slow down. Who have you been seeing?" The lack of anger in her voice managed to calm your frazzled nerves slightly, and you took a shaky deep breath and slowly began to calm down. Leafpool waited patiently, her tail-tip gently rested on yours.

"Crowfrost. H-he's a ShadowClan warrior."

Leafpool nodded, a soft sigh escaping her. "Things like this happen sometimes, (Y/N). What's done is done, and you can't change anything now. All you can do is understand that you need to take responsibility for your actions and decide what you want to do." She blinked, her amber kind eyes softening as she studied you. "What are you going to do, (Y/N)?" You looked at your paws, an ice-cold dress suddenly filling your veins. You didn't know what you were going to do. What were you even supposed to do? You couldn't get un-pregnant!

"I-I don't know," You stammered, beginning to tremble. "I'm so scared, Leafpool... I don't want to leave ThunderClan..."

The older medicine cat leaned down and touched her nose to your forehead, placing a gentle lick between your ears. "I won't tell anyone, (Y/N). This will be our little secret. If anyone asks, just say you haven't been exercising as much as you should. I'll tell them the same thing."

"What happens when I go into labor?" You asked, raising your voice slightly. "How will be explain that? Everyone will find out!"

Leafpool raised her paw and rested it on your shoulder, leaning down and touching her nose to yours to settle you down. "We won't be here. I'll tell Firestar we have an important mission when you get closer to kitting. We'll find a safe, warm place for you to have your kits. When we come home, we'll say we found them abandoned in the forest. No one ever has to know, (Y/N). No one will know." Her gentle tone calmed you, and you closed your eyes as exhaustion began to take over. Leafpool sighed softly and pulled you into a comforting embrace. You both sat there for a long time, surrounded by a mess of herbs as you found comfort in one another's presence.

You finally pulled away after awhile, looking into your hero's eyes with tears streaming down your face. "Thank you," You whispered. "I don't know what I'd do without you, Leafpool."

"Everything will be okay, (Y/N)," Leafpool promised solemnly. "I'll make sure of it."

****

If any of you would like to see a part two, please let me know! I had a lot of fun writing this, and I wouldn't mind giving it a second part!

Leafpool is probably my third favorite cat in the books. She was so sweet T~T

Feel free to leave a request somewhere if they're open! Oh, and please be as specific as you can when requesting. It helps me a lot!

Thanks for the support, guys. Much love!