Cade | Chap. 76 | EDITED

I threw on a white shirt and a fresh pair of jeans, walking up to the tall glass mirror whilst I rolled up the sleeves and tucked the waist in. It felt great to have some fresh clothing to wear, but it felt a little too tight for my taste; I may be well built, but I wasn't the kind to show off. However, it quickly became clear I wouldn't have to worry about such detail as I was quick to notice most females wouldn't even look in my direction, or they were already occupied by another male whilst I walked through the halls. A heavy feeling dragged alongside me, following me everywhere I went; I couldn't shake it away, and it only got stronger for every Wolf I came across. The hostility was palpable to the point I was starting to get on edge.

This place felt... odd and in the worse way possible. None of this felt natural and the air was asphyxiating, bothering me to my very core. My Wolf remained on high alert, ready to pounce at the smallest sign of danger. Eventually, I decided to head to the dining hall, in hopes of catching my breath and collecting my thoughts. I hadn't had much sleep either thus the fatigue and stress was really taking a tole on me. I walked to the kitchen, relieved to spot a coffee maker on the middle counter. I searched through the cabines and took the first bag of coffee beans I could get my hands onto, my mouth watering at the scent. I set the machine for a heavy foamed, cream latte before patiently waiting for it to do its job. Taking the hot cup into my hands, I leaned against the counter and enjoyed as the liquid coated my tongue and slid down my throat, a feeling I missed dearly.

"I see you're still the same coffee addict as before, brother." Although kind at the surface, Felix's words were nothing but venom when sent my way. I could see it in his eyes, his body; every part of him had hatred stored solemly for me and he didn't waste even but a second to throw it my way.

I groaned, the latte suddenly turning bitter in my mouth. "I was told I could make myself at home." My response was calm but I kept my eyes on him regardless.

Felix rummaged through the cabin, pushing aside the bag of coffee I took for another at the back, which from the label, seemed to be a much bolder brew. A heavy silence lingered between us, nothing but the machine's quiet clicks and grinding noise to break the atmosphere. The liquid poured into the cup which he then brought to his lips with a quiet sip.

"I received news about Alpha Xavier's death and the attack on your pack house." He began, his eyes carelessly gazing towards the farthest wall of the room. Despite his dark words, I detected not the slightest trace or venom within them. "His death is a great lost to many, including my pack.

- Your pack?" I repeated, lifting a brow.

He snickered between a swish of coffee. "Have you forgotten? You're not the only Beta in the family now brother; I know what it means to lose an Alpha.

- I haven't forgotten." Shivers ran down my spine as I detected a dark undertone to his voice.

Felix smiled, well aware he was toying with me. But I blatantly refuse to let him affect me, instead focusing my thoughts somewhere else as I half heartedly listened to him. My brother was always the reckless type when growing up; jumping head first into any challenge give without a doubt or plan of action. He'd be obsessed with these ludicrous goals he gave himself, spending days and sometimes nights trying to accomplish the task, bettering himself in the process. He was a go-getter, a real warrior.

In the end however, he ended up using it for the wrong cause, or at least, putting his efforts in the wrong place which ultimately led to where we are. Despite our bitter past, part of me was proud and happy to know he had finally reached the position he worked so hard to obtain. Sadly, another part of me couldn't help but fear how he obtained his title... perhaps I was being too harsh on him, but the thought still lingered.