Chapter 1

As per usual you were stuck with working late. You were cleaning up after your last customers when you heard a bell ring. You sighed and walked to the front of the diner. It amazes you that anyone would be walking in right now seeing as it was already almost 11:30.

An awkward looking blonde guy walked in. He was wearing round glasses and casual clothes. He had a little notebook tucked under his arm. He looked very skittish, his eyes darting around the diner rapidly as if he was figuring out all the escape roots or something. He sat at the counter and you walked up to him. As you approached he looked to you and looked away quickly.

"Hi hun what can I get for you?" You asked for what felt like the millionth time today.

He looked to you with a shy look on his face. "Uh can I get a coffee with extra creamer please." He uttered the words so you could just barely hear him.

You went to the back to prepare his coffee and could feel his stare on your back as you bumbled around getting his coffee ready to taste. You didn't really mind you were used to all kinds of people looking at you in all kinds of ways.

After a few minutes you brought him his coffee and set it down in front of him. He had papers splayed out in front of him that were fully covered in writing. When he noticed that you were looking he quickly shuffled to hide them. Getting the hint you went to the back of the diner again to get started on the dishes.

Everything was quite aside from the clinking dishes and the occasional scribble of his pen.After 10 long almost never-ending minutes of washing dishes you decided to check up on him to see if he needed a refill. This time when you walked over his scribbled pages were gone and now he was working on a Sudoku puzzle. By the looks of it he had just started it.

He hadn't seemed to notice you approach so you decided to clear your throat and talk, "How's it going over here, need a refill?"

He looked up a little startled at your sudden approach. "Oh uh, yes p-please" his cheeks lit up after he stuttered. You gave him a smile and took his cup.

"I'll be right back with this." You went to fix him another cup of coffee. When you brought it back you noticed that he was watching you. He quickly looked down and tried to make it look like he wasn't looking at you, his face even redder then before.

You set his cup of coffee down and pointed at his Sudoku. "I don't see people doing that very often."

He let's out a little mumbled "oh" and keeps his eyes down. Damn. Talking to a brick wall would be easier than talking to this guy.

You decide not to give up talking to him just yet. "So what's your favorite kinda puzzle?"

Its almost as if a switch flipped inside of this mystery person. He immediately perked up at your mention of puzzles. "Oh well, I really like riddles." He smiles lightly. You take this as an opportunity to get him to keep talking. You put your elbows on the counter and rest your head on the heels of your palms.

"Do you have any riddles for me?" You ask tilting your head a little bit. He looks away from you and seems to think about it for a couple of seconds.