chapter 66

P A T T E R O F R A I N

He's going to leave me like everyone else

I'm difficult.

Complicated.

He's going to see that I'm not worth any of this.

"What more do you want from me," he asks and I can hear the pain in his voice. "All I want, is for you to be happy and safe, but I can't do either of those things if you don't trust me enough to talk to me."

"I'm sorry," I whisper, looking at him sympathetically. "But the things you say an- and do they just remind me of him, so, much," I bite down on my quivering lip.

"I'm not him, Nirah," he steps towards me but I step back. I watch as hurt washes across his face.

"But you're just like him-"

"Don't compare me to him," he steps towards me. "I don't rape or abuse women," he says and I can hear the hurt in his voice.

My head snaps up to meet his eyes and instant regret washes over me.

"No- I didn't mean-"

"Then what do you mean?" he asks and I swallow hard.

"You're brothers, Antonio," I shake my head. "How different can you really be?"

"Are you like your brother?" he asks and I'm taken back. "Let me rephrase that," he stops in front of me. "Are you like your twin brother?"

My heart drops.

I hear the sky rumble and it's as if even the universe didn't appreciate what I had just said.

"Nereus is in this mess because he's a traitor, right? He's hunted by many because he's a thief, right? So how different can you and your brother really be?" he asks and I shake my head at him. "How do I know that you won't betray and steal from me?" he asks and tears brim in my eyes.

"Because I wouldn't-"

"So I'm supposed to believe you when you don't believe me?" he asks and I look away from him. "You can't hold me responsible for my brother's actions like I can't hold you responsible for yours."

"I know," I sharply say, not looking at him.

You're hurting him again.

"I'm sorry, okay? I'm sorry that your similarities with your brother scares me," I choke out. "I guess I'll just fucking turn it off like a switch and we can go back to being a happy fucking couple-" my voice cracks. "I'm, sorry," I apologize, turning away from him as tears run down my cheeks. "So fucking sorry."

God, I'm a mess.

He pulls me into his arms and I sob into his chest.

"No- don't-"