Posioned Pawn

Aizawa-sensei had knocked on Izuku's door in the bright, early morning hours. Izuku had just gotten back from a run and he was sweaty, ready for a shower, but when he had opened his door to find his usually asleep teacher, he had not even questioned it. He had not even questioned it when said teacher had growled at Izuku to come with him and started walking, Izuku scrambling to keep up.

He is questioning it now.

He has never been to this part of U.A. before. It is bright and cold and Izuku can feel his stomach twisting uncomfortably. Aizawa-sensei has not even looked at him the entire time they were walking and Izuku can feel the tension coming off his teacher that he is unwilling to break.

Still, Aizawa-sensei has always been straightforward with his expectations for Izuku. And has repeatedly told him that his teachers at U.A. will be more than willing to talk to him or help him if he asks.

So Izuku steeles his nerves and squares his shoulders before asking his teacher, "Sensei, where are we going?"

Rather than answering him, Aizawa-sensei gives Izuku the coldest look Izuku has ever had his teacher direct at him. He feels his stomach plummet, doing gymnastics all the way down. Izuku resolves not to ask any more questions as he bows his head. He knows better than to irritate teachers when they are in a specific mood.

Before he knows it, Aizawa-sensei is opening a door, and Izuku steps inside a cold, gray, lifeless room. There is one other person in the room when he walks in, a police officer sitting at a stainless steel table who gives Izuku another cold look as he enters. There are two other chairs at the table, one next to the officer and one opposite.

"Sit," the officer bites out at Izuku. Izuku looks towards his teacher for any type of guidance, but the hero is already moving towards the chair next to the police officer. So Izuku tentatively sits down in the one remaining chair, trying not to look at either of the two adults across from him, wondering how exactly he ended up in this situation.

"Name?" The question comes out as more of a statement than anything else and it takes a second for Izuku to realize the officer is talking to him.

"Midoriya Izuku."

"Age?"

"Si-sixteen."

"Parent's names?"

"Midoriya Inko and Hisashi."

"Are your parents separated?" At this, Izuku shoots a quick, confused glance to Aizawa-sensei and then to the police officer, both of whom meet his gaze with frosty looks.

"N-no, not exactly."

"What exactly do you mean by not exactly?" The officer snaps, and Izuku is not sure when and where he misstepped with his teacher and the officer. What he did that led up to him being in this room. He wishes he could undo it though, whatever it was.

"My parents aren't separated, but my father's job requires him to move around a lot, we haven't seen him in a few years."

"Where is your father?"

"He's currently working in America."

"What specifically does he do?"

"He's some sort of diplomat or something, I never really paid attention when mom explained." There is a long silence after that and Izuku shifts in his seat, wondering why they are asking him about his parents, wondering if maybe something happened with his father that he does not know about yet.

"How long have you been interested in heroes Mr. Midoriya?" The police officer finally asks and Izuku gives him a baffled look, confused as to this sudden shift in questioning.