Shoto Todoroki x Reader: Red Ribbon

Being the fiancé of Shoto, it was only natural to attend family reunions.

However.

Shoto had told you about the problems that tended to go down at his family reunions. Therefore, you had avoided going to one with the assistance of your fiancé. You had met each member of his family of course....on separate occasions. Not when they were all together.

It was unavoidable today. As it was your engagement dinner at his father's house. Shoto said he would arrive early to do some damage control. So you were currently in your room, finishing up getting ready. Dressing formally, but not suffocatingly. And in red. It seemed essential to dress in red. Shoto had an affinity for it, so wouldn't the rest of his family?

You tied the long red ribbon into your hair and headed for the door. You arrived just 5 minutes early with a gift basket for the family. You knocked on the door and thankfully it was Fuyumi who opened it.

"Y/n! Good to see you." She held the door open and grabbed the basket from you, leading you to the kitchen. "The boys are talking outside. And the food is just about ready if you could help me set the table."

"Oh sure!" You'd been briefed by Shoto on how his family tended to follow more traditional roles of men and women. So you were prepared to be helping with traditionally 'house wifely roles' even if it was something that Shoto and you flipped the script on at home.

You finished setting the table and Fuyumi sent you to fetch the boys outside. To your surprise, they were all talking rather calmly on the porch. "Dinner is ready!" You called with a smile and Shoto smiled up at you as well. "Table set and everything." You winked at him and he blushed a bit, standing up with his brother and father.

Shoto stood up to kiss you on the cheek. "I like the ribbon." He said, referring to your hair ribbon.

"Thank you love, I closed it because you like red." You smiled and he gave you a loving look.

All of you took a seat around the table, you beside Shoto, Fuyumi and Natsuo across from you and Enji at the head of the table. "Thank you Fuyumi." Everyone said and dug in.

About half way through dinner was when the drama started. Fuyumi had said something about wishing their mother was there to see the family getting along and Natsuo had made a mouthy comment at Enji which sparked the disaster. This unsettled Shoto and you could see him tensing beneath the table. You subtly placed a hand on his thigh, telling him you were beside him. You traced patterns on his thigh with your thumb. Natsuo and Enji seemed to calm down a bit too and get back to eating after Fuyumi hushed them and reminded them of the guest.

Shoto stared over at you as he zoned out, the conversation going to Natsuo's new job. Particularly he zoned out at the ribbon. It was such a lovely color and the way it wrapped around your hair...he wondered how it would feel on his wrists.

"Sho?" You whispered, recognizing the dazed look, you gave his thigh a squeeze. "We okay?" You asked quietly so not to interrupt the ongoing conversation.

"Mhm." He rumbled with a tight smile, glancing at the ribbon.

You tried to follow his gaze before realizing what he was staring at and touching a hand to your ribbon with slightly raised eyebrows. Shoto gave a small nod.

"Y/n, does everyone know what your profession is?" Fuyumi asked suddenly.

Shoto snapped his attention abruptly to her but you calmly answered, "I believe so. You all know I'm an author correct?"

"Yeah, I have got the chance to read your book yet though." Natsuo commented.

You smiled, engaging politely in conversation while your hand rested on Shoto's thigh. Once in a while you'd give him a squeeze to remind him that you hadn't forgotten the conversation you had previously been engaged in.