Chapter 5 - Cecilia

Cecilia knew she was acting off but she couldn't help it. Not when she had broken down in front of Maisie only an hour before. The reality of having to go back to Ezekiel, all reason be damned, was more than enough to have her spiraling into a flashback, and of course. Of course, there was no out. Of course, she had to go back with her tail between her legs and beg for him to fix the situation he started because that's what he does. Every time Cecilia started to get anywhere, he'd swoop in and ruin it for her. Somehow, he always knew where she was. Maybe not right away but he would. He'd figure it out and he'd twist her right back into his hand. She'd go right back into that stupid shelf pet mindset and she wouldn't be able to escape on her own again. Not this time. Not for a while. Last time she saw him was damaging enough. She'd hardly been able to escape, let alone cope with all that had happened.

Cecilia's life was being held onto by a string and Ezekiel was the man that ran the scissors over it for a laugh. All he had to do was close his hand and she would come falling down.

"We don't have to do this," Maisie whispered next to her. She curled her wings in closer, shielding Cecilia from outside eyes while shifting closer to her. Maisie was becoming soft and caring, reaching out to comfort her as if they'd known each other their whole lives. It was pathetic. Cecilia was pretty damn pathetic if she was leaning on a new Angel for comfort. One who had run away from her Sanctuary. Nothing good came from running away. Cecilia wasn't sure what she was thinking. It was unfair for her to lean on Maisie when Maisie had enough going on in her own life. She didn't need to be dragged into Cecilia's.

Instead, Cecilia let out a soft whine and leaned into the comfort. It'd be the last, non-manipulative touch she'd receive in a long time now. She wasn't sure when she'd be able to trust someone's touch again.

"Celiy, we really don't have to do this," Maisie repeated. "We can put it off. We don't have to call him now. We can give you a few days to cope and try to come up with a solution."

Cecilia shook her head, averting her eyes to the ground and twisting the ring on her finger back and forth. "No. No, we have to do it now. I have no other solution. I don't have anyone else I can go to. Every other person I try with sends me back to Ezekiel and my friends have done everything they can. We put it off for a few days for me to cope with the reality and I'll go unresponsive. I'll curl up in bed and won't move or speak for God knows how long. And to make it all worse, I have to keep you safe. And to do that, I have to go now. Before midnight. Or else you may not be able to get out. So no. We have to do it now. As much as I would rather tear my own heart out while it was still beating, we have to do it now."

Maisie nodded, glancing at the phone she held in her hand from Cyrus. They hadn't left his house, not really. They just settled on his porch steps while he used his house phone to call the others and explain the situation. Cecilia tried not to wonder how long it would be before she got to see any of them again. She would most likely miss Evelyn growing in her wings. The one thing she wanted to be there for more than anything. Of course. Because of course, it was.

"Can I read the notes?" Maisie asked hesitantly. Cecilia's head shot up, confused, but Maisie refused to look at her. "I mean... I know they're personal. You don't have to show me. But I want a better understanding if you'll let me."

Cecilia hesitated, a million thoughts swirling through her mind. Maisie... She wasn't a bad guy. Maisie wouldn't hurt her. Logically, Cecilia knew that. But there was something about sharing the notes with an outsider, someone who had no idea who Ezekiel was, that seemed dangerous. Like it would give Maisie the power to do whatever she wanted to Cecilia and there would be no way out.

"I... no. I just... I don't think I can..." Cecilia mumbled, rocking her ring back and forth. Maisie nodded her head.

"That's okay. Thank you for telling me. I won't ask again," Maisie replied. She pulled her knees up to her chest and rested her chin on them. Cyrus's phone rested in her hand, taunting Cecilia with the ever-looming end of her grace period. She knew she had to contact Ezekiel before midnight, a time slowly creeping up on her. She just didn't think she could make herself do it.