the stone soldier/life in war

-----

-----

-The Stone Soldier is sort of a prequel to The Maiden and details David's life prior to becoming a page, his experience as a page, his rise to fame as a squire, and the Caesarean-Rancho War from his perspective.

- David is the youngest of four sons by a significant margin. His father was in love with a woman who became a Buddhist nun but introduced him to her younger sister.

- His parents were young when they first met and were too swept up in just getting married and having kids without actually knowing how. They had three kids but ended up asking the aunt-nun to raise them since they wanted to live their lives while still giving their sons the best life possible.

- When the couple realized they did want to be parents, all three brothers were already sent off to be knights. They were only able to stop the younger two brothers from being full-on squires. Once those two became old enough to take care of themselves, the couple decided to have David, who was spoiled by his parents, brothers, and aunt.

- When David was young, he witnessed the great Blue Knight. He was also inspired by his oldest brother (Troy), who had just ascended the rank of a third-ranked Commander.

- David was sent off to be a page, where he was often mistreated for being from Friselle. Troy becomes a second-ranked Grand Officer by the time David becomes a squire.

- David is regarded as a prodigy and gains a name for himself. Head Cross Ricardo Gonzalez praises him, recognizing him as Troy's baby brother and sees a lot of potential in him. Gonzalez gives David weekly private training sessions, where David meets Thomas.

- When he was 13, he was called home by his family. During this time, Troy becomes a Grand Cross. He writes home about his ascendancy, as it was done in secret since King Arthur had secretly executed one Grand Cross for corruption and was filling in the space.

- After spending a year at home, David's father forbids him from becoming a knight. David runs away from home, pushing his father out of the way when he tries to stop him. His father collapses but David doesn't look back.

- By the time David returns to the Knights' Quarters, Troy had already gone home. Gonzalez warmly welcomes back David and gives him a letter from Troy, who explains that their father had fallen severely ill and he wanted to be with him. Gonzalez tells David that Troy left due to a family emergency.

- Troy routinely writes to David, but David never writes back. At one point, Troy reveals that he and his wife have a newborn daughter. Every letter, Troy begs David to visit home just once.

- When David is 16, Troy visits him at the Palace and informs him that their father is dying. David immediately leaves with him, informing Gonzalez that he would be gone for nine weeks.