Chapter 14: Buckle-Down to Something

Past is the past. That was what Philip always reminded his fiancée thousands of times as he did not want her to be stuck in that phase any longer. For him, Heather was having a phobia of her miserable past until she was afraid to have a proper relationship again. Did not want to waste time any longer, Philip insisted his fiancée introduce him to her parents that just lived hundreds of kilometres in Washington D.C.

"Are you sure that you want your parents to meet my parents? Don't you think it's too early for that?" Heather said reluctantly. At that time, both of them were having a date in a local coffee shop where Heather was craving to have a good matcha latte. Since she could not drink caffeine during her almost four months pregnancy that ended up in miscarriage; Heather was longing to drink coffee again after a long time on caffeine break.

"I am so sure, my dear. Plus, I want to meet your parents for real before asking their permission to have you as my wife. As you can see, my parents are quite traditional so they wanted to meet their in-laws to discuss some matters. I hope you can understand it." The prosecutor sipped his sugarless americano first right before he said truthfully. There was nothing to hide between him and Heather, therefore he wanted a full blessing from both parties.

"No, don't get me wrong. I like you, Philip. It just lasts time I never had a proper blessing from you-know-who family. They thought I was too shallow for their son and when I decided to end my engagement – I knew they were delighted for the news." She sighed a heavy breath while remarking about her past with Malcolm. It has been countless times she kept on mentioning the name of her ex-fiancé in front of Philip, thus making the heart of the prosecutor full of jealousy.

"Mind if I ask you something, Heather Miller. Do you still love Malcolm?" Like an arrow shooting her heart, Heather was agape when Philip was asking her that unpredictable question. Love Malcolm? That was the last thing she would do when he had already broken her heart numerous times. Maybe because she kept on telling Philip about her former flame until he became suspicious of her heart.

"For tearing my heart into pieces, my heart has become bland towards him. One more thing, I think I have fallen in love with the guy that was so annoying in the Cathay Pacific flight that sat beside me when both of them were on the way to Koh Samui." After a long pause, both of them were laughing while remembering back about their first official encounter; which was on the aeroplane that going to bring them to the spectacular jewel of Thailand.

Back home, Philip told his parents that Heather has arranged a meeting between both parties in Washington D.C., and he could not wait to get married as soon as possible to the love of his life that always drown in her thought – none other than the talented artist, Heather Miller. Immediately, he booked flight tickets to Washington D.C that would be departing on the day after tomorrow as Heather already told him that her parents are probably free on that day.

Before the journey, Mrs Kim made Yakgwa; a traditional Korean deep-fried confection that is normally served during festive days such as marriages and birthdays. The dessert consisted of wheat flour, honey, sesame oil, and ginger oil before being fried to perfection. The Korean lady packed the food that would be a gift to her in-law neatly and she could not wait to discuss more with Heather's mother about her intention that wanting both of them to get married as quickly as they could.

The journey that involved Heather, Philip and both of his parents went smoothly where they landed safely in the capital city of the United States of America after an hour accelerated in the blue skies. With a charted cab, all of them were heading to the Hamilton Hotel which would be the venue of the meeting between both parents. After being done checking in for his parents, Philip went to the restaurant full of worries as he did not know about her parents and he just hoped they would like him to be the husband of their beloved daughter, Heather.