Chapter 47 - Option 2: Stay back with Tommy and Toby

STAY BACK WITH TOMMY AND TOBY

~

What real help would I be if I went?

I tightened my grip on both of my boys, staring at Dream's back and Puffy and Bad's tense faces. It felt as if everything had slowed down, just so I could think.

I needed to be realistic, instead of promoting this false optimism, this stupid hero complex I had developed along the way of this past month.

I stared at the three, but I wasn't really seeing them. I felt as if I was staring at the situation instead of being involved with it. The "points" they were throwing back and forth, with no real care if they were true or not. They didn't care what I thought, unless I was on their side, unless I cared for their own argument. And wasn't that like it had been? All my life? As if I was some pawn to be moved from space to space.

I could feel Tommy staring at me, eyes so fixated that he could've burned a hole in the side of my head.

I turned to meet his stare; he didn't falter. This. Them. My boys. They were something I could always have a say in, something I had control over, as bad as it sounds.

"Stop. Stop talking." I whispered, but no one seemed to take notice that I even spoke.

Before I could continue, Tommy's voice punched through the arguments, breaking them apart in one swoop. "Y/N said to shut up! Shut up now!" He didn't stand, he remained in my grip, contained chaos.

Bad, Puffy, Dream, they all looked towards me. Bad's ears were pointed, as if in some kind of defensive position, fingers twitching anxiously at his side. Puffy was red in the face, and Dream mirrored her expression. "What?" The dragon asked, half annoyed and half hopeful.

"I..I'm staying back." I choked out, knowing very well that I could barely convince myself that I wanted to stay. Even so, logic had to prevail over my ego. I needed to affirm my position. "I'm staying back. I've done what I can."

Dream's expression softened, his wings folding behind in response. And even though I could tell he was pleased with my decision, I couldn't meet his eyes. Or anyone else's. I only looked at Tommy, who had quickly returned my stare after eloquently telling everyone to shut up. Fear masked with aggression, his tight lipped expression remained unmoving, waiting for my next move. I wondered if he would've had the same reaction if I had decided to go to L'Manburg.

"Well" Puffy sighed, her arms crossing. "that's that then."

I turned to Toby now. He had been staring the whole time. I leaned down and pressed a small kiss against his head. He gave me a toothy smile. I leaned in a second time, resting my forehead against his, listening to the reluctant steps heading inside. A pair of heavier footsteps came towards me, and when I pulled away from Toby, Dream was towering over me. He smiled, relaxed, arms at his sides and eyes wandering between myself and my two boys.

"Why do I feel.." I brushed a hand over Tommy's head, feeling the knots that developed in his hair. "that I've made the wrong decision?"

"You can feel regret over the right choice." Dream responded and kneeled beside me. "You saw the truth, the risk, and avoided it. Self preservation is not weakness."

Toby pulled his head away from my side and turned to Dream. The man knew his look without my bee boy having to say a word. Dream opened his arms to Toby, who took a second to stand and move himself into his arms. The gesture made my heart swell, and my arms tightened around Tommy. He copied my movement, squeezing his arms against mine and resting his head into my collarbone.

~

Dream sat on the floor beside my bed, his eyes traveling around the room in no particular order. His arm draped over his knees, his claws bumping into one around as his fingers curled together then un-curled.