SHOCK AND DELIGHT II

☆●☆●☆●

☆●☆●☆●

The aged Duke of Hastings sat in his study, writing away with pieces of papers and closed books surrounding him. So important was his work it seemed that not even the arrival of Lady Danbury and his two children garnered his attention right away. When he did, he met them with a stone cold glare and steeples fingers.

"Well... This is a most unwelcome intrusion."

"I thought Your Grace might be relieved to know that your children are alive and well. Your staff seemed somewhat surprised by the fact."

"What is the point of your visit?" He asked curtly. Lady Danbury nodded to Madelyn first. The five year old girl smiled and curtsied perfectly, never breaking eye contact with her father.

"Your Grace," she greeted, "It is a pleasure to make your acquaintanceship once again. And as you can see..." Her father stood, approaching her, "I...I am..."

Simon squeezed her hand.

He didn't even spare Simon a glance as he said, "Your brother is my worst failure. You are an abomination unworthy of the Hastings name."

Simon pulled Madelyn to his side, shielding her from their father.

"I beg your pardon?"exclaimed Lady Danbury, watching in utter hatred as the man called their father calmly retook his seat.

"I'm sure you do."

"I shan't again. Might I remind you that this girl is your only daughter and chance at stronger connections, and this boy is to be the next Duke of Hastings and that they require whatever remains of fatherly nature reside in that frigid heart of yours?"

"You may, so long as I remind you of your place, which is out of my sight and with your mouth shut."

"I'm... I'm not..." Madelyn turned to her brother, concern drawn across her face as she feared he'd get the same scolding as she did. "I'm not...dead. Did you receive my letters?"