29. I Hate Deserted Hallways

"Where are we going again?" I asked Percy as we were on the road, Percy driving and weaving expertly through the masses of cars flooding the streets on a rainy March afternoon.

"Montauk," was my boyfriend's curt answer.

"Which is..."

"Long Island," he elaborated. "The place where my parents met. It's a special place."

I threw him an increadulous glance. "We're going to the sea? With all this rain?"

It had now been raining constantly for weeks. Raindrops littered the car windows like tears flowing to the cause of a broken heart. The wipers were working full time, splashing the constant flows of raindrops away from the windshield and onto the nearby ground, where they disappeared in the Friday afternoon traffic.

Percy chuckled nonchalantly. "The sea is always good."

I answered with an increadulous stare. "You're kidding, right?"

"Chill, Wise Girl," he laughed and sent a cute smile my way, all while keeping his eyes on the road, of course. "It'll be great."

Percy had rented a cabin in this Montauk place, which was apparently a popular family vacation between him and Sally. The only thing he hadn't thought of was that March meant Spring, and Spring meant just as much rain as November. So we probably wouldn't even be getting to swim in the sea (much to my boyfriend's mispleasure).

We were staying there just for one night, and then coming back on Saturday afternoon. It wasn't something big - Percy had only planned it about a day before without even informing me of the destination - but we were both extremely excited as we were going on a trip together, just the two of us. It was going to be awesome.

We arrived after about three hours, Percy being quite tired due to the long car ride. I would have switched and taken the wheel for part of the journey, but Percy kept insisting that he could do it on his own.

He also kept insisting to listen on his Spotify playlist on repeat. Since I am such a nice girlfriend, I allowed it, even though most of the music in there sucked. The only good one was Percy's favourite song, "Riptide". All the other songs on the playlist were randomly chosen, and the only reason they were on Percy's playlist was due to the words "water", "sea", "swimming", "lake" or "river" in the title.

He was just quirky that way.

———

We strolled causally out of the car, right in front of the cabin we had rented, a blue umbrella opened wide above our heads. The cabin was small, only containing two rooms - a bedroom, also containing a kitchen and a small sofa - and a bathroom.

The exterior was of wooden panels painted white, which fit the sea landscape surrounding it pretty well. It was really light for a building; in fact, it wasn't the walls that held up the structure, but the interior skeleton. As for the safety of the structure, it looked pretty good, especially when there were five other houses right next to it, giving ulterior support. The roof was flat and made out of plywood, which, while it was strong and resistant, wasn't waterproof in its essence. However, the paint job seemed to be done decently, so it could hold water out pretty well. The problem was the fact that this roof was flat, so water stayed on top, forming puddles.

"Uhm...Annabeth?" Percy's voice brought me back to reality. "I get it that you're an architect, but we're kind of standing still in the rain."

I realised I had lost myself in analysing the building. "Sorry," I smiled apologetically.

"All good," Percy smiled his lop-sided grin. "But now we're going swimming."

I frowned. "It's literally raining."