t h r e e

Of all the states in the United States and of all the ice cream stores statewide, he had to be in this one. What bad luck that Jamesia and I decided to come here today of all days. But I thought it a bit suspicious that it seemed like such a coincidence.

"Just act casual," Jamesia muttered, getting up.

My hand was shaking as I tried to take my jacket and put it on. It took me a few minutes to do so. Jamesia took a ten-dollar bill from her pocket and placed it on the table. Then she pushed me towards the door. I practically ran to it; I couldn't get out quick enough.

"Casual!" Jamesia whispered-shouted.

"I am being casual!" I whispered back.

"Running to the doors isn't casual."

I would've rolled my eyes if I hadn't been so nervous. I pulled the doors open, hating the sound of the bells tinkling, and walked out quickly. Jamesia followed behind me, pressing a button on her car keys to unlock her car. The second we got to her Mustang, I opened the door on the passenger side and got in, closing the door behind me.

"Take me home," was all I said.

Jamesia said nothing as she started the car and started driving.

****

"Mom, I'm home!" I called as I unlocked the door to our apartment and went in, closing the door behind me. There was no answer. Is Mom not home? Usually, she would be unless she's working late. But that's a rarity, as she gets home before three in the afternoon since she works one job half a day and another job starting from five to ten at night.

"Mom?" I called again. I let my backpack fall to the floor and walked quietly to the kitchen, poking my head in. I saw Mom sitting in a chair, her eyes closed and holding a piece of paper that was slightly crumbled.

"Mom?" I whispered as I walked over to her.

Her eyes flashed open and she looked up at me as she quickly folded the paper in her hands and shoved it in the opened envelope.

"Yes sweetie?" she said, standing up.

"What's that?" I asked, pointing at the envelope.

"Oh, that? Nothing, sweetie. Nothing you have to worry about." She smiled tightly and changed the subject. "How was your first day?"

I frowned slightly, but didn't push it. "It was okay, I guess." And yet again, like with Jamesia, there was no need to tell her about Xavien.

"That's great!" She paused for a moment before speaking again. "Sweetie, I'd be working later than usual tonight, alright? I don't know when I'll be home."

"Alright then. Then I'm going to Jamesia's house later."

"Spend the night if you want."

"Are you sure?"

For some reason, my mother smiled sadly. "Of course."

I went behind my mom and hugged her from behind. She smiled, a genuine smile this time, and placed her hands on my arms. "I love you, mere," I whispered, placing my cheek gently on her hair.

"I love you too, ma fille," she whispered back.

We stayed like this for a while, my eyes closed. Finally, reluctantly, I drew my arms away from around Mom's neck and checked my phone, seeing it was a quarter to five.

"I have to get to work," Mom said, seeing the look on my face as she stood up.

I nodded silently. "Be safe. Please."

"You know I will, darling."

I hugged her quickly and then Mom picked her bag up and hurried out the kitchen. I heard the front door open and close and closed my eyes, wondering what Mom wasn't telling me. 

                                                                                       ~~~

Hey, y'all. Sorry this chapter is so short, but I promise the next chapter will be longer. Thanks for reading, and remember to vote, comment, share 

Addio (bye in Italian)

Au revoir (bye in French)

~ Eve