Chapter 7

The next day the group of us went to the sheriffs department. We got showers!! The guys even let me and Izzy have first dibs! It was the BEST feeling in the world. Izzy didn't like it at first but she got clean. Rick raided the gun storage while we were there so we have plenty of firepower for now. We are now on our way to Atlanta after Morgan and Duane told Rick about the refugee center. I told him the city was blown up but he insisted we check.

"Tell me about your family," I said after a while of driving.

"Carl, my son, is 11. He's like a mini me really, he's my world," Rick softly said with a warm smile after hesitating a little.

"Your wife?" I asked as he zoned out.

"She...*sigh*..is a little complicated. Before I got shot  we were in a rough position. We had said a lot of hurtful things before realizing that we weren't in love anymore. We even discussed getting a divorce but she was arguing about how it would affect Carl. I love her I do which is why I'm trying so hard to find them. We just... don't work anymore. It doesn't mean I won't protect her with my life, I just don't know if that's changed or not. If she's willing to work it out I am too for Carl," he explained smiling softly at the end but I could see pain in his eyes.

"Well speaking from experience. A marriage without being in love hurts more than the parents. My parents were a shit show, I would always think how can they live with each other wouldn't they be happier if they got a divorce? Now days we have nothing to do with each other because all that anger just kept building up. He might take it hard at first but when he sees the two of you happy it won't matter I promise," I say with a smile. Rick looks deep in thought after that and we sit in silence.

———————————————————-___————-

"Is this a CB?" He asked looking at it.

"Yep. The best in the military," I replied. He started trying to get through to someone.

"Broadcasting on an emergency Chanel. Will be approaching Atlanta on highway 85. Anybody reads please respond. Can anyone hear my voice?" Rick says into the speaker. Static starts before we hear a female voice saying she can hear.

" Are you from the Atlanta refugee center?" Rick asks.

"No. There is no center and the city is not safe! I repeat the city is not safe. We are outside of the city in a quarry," she responds we look at each other. I hold my hand out for it and he passes it to me.

"This is Sergeant First Class Johnson of the US Army. Is there any military personnel among you?" I asked going into business mode.

"This is Sheriff Deputy Shane Walsh. We have an Army vet that is currently out on a run. The rest of our group are civilians," he replied.

"Shane?!" Rick exclaimed.

"Deputy Walsh I am trying to locate two civilians believed to have been on their way to Atlanta. Do you have a Lori Grimes or Carl Grimes in your camp by chance?" I asked knowing where Ricks head was at. Rick was speechless. We waited for a moment before the CB went off again.

"We do. May I ask why you are looking for these two?" He asks. I can hear the nervousness through the radio.

" I apologize Deputy but that information is classified. I will however tell you that their well-being is of the upmost priority that I task to you personally until I can arrive on the scene. Can you give me your coordinates?" I ask. At this point Rick is crying happy tears in my passenger seat.

"I do not have the coordinates but I can tell you how to get to us if you can guarantee you mean them no harm," the deputy responds.

" I give you my word that no harm will come to them by me. I assure you that I do not give my word to just anyone, Shane Walsh. As I said their well-being is of the upmost priority," I reply. He gives me directions and because we have already been driving we're close.

"Johnson to Walsh do you copy?" I speak into the CB when we're are only about 15 minutes away.

"Walsh here. I hear you loud and clear," he replied.

"ETA is 15 minutes arriving in a big black truck. If anyone decides to fire on my vehicle they will be in a world of shit. Do you copy?" I say just getting angry by thinking about my baby being hurt.

"Loud and clear, Sergeant," he says in an amused voice. I look over at Rick and he looks so impatient. I chuckle at him.

I see the first glimpse of their camp and I'm already in a bad mood. They clearly were not thinking when they set it up. Well things are bout to change. Rick already has his hand on the door handle ready to jump out as soon as I stop. I pull up behind the RV and park. Then Rick is out.

"Lori! Carl!" He yells as he runs to them.

"Izzy baby, come on. We here," I say as we both get out she grabs her bow and quiver without me telling her too. That brings a smile to my face. We get out the car and see everyone looking between my truck and Rick reuniting with his family. With Izzy right on my tail I walk up to who I think is the other Deputy by the way he carries himself.

"Deputy Walsh?" I ask holding my hand out. I'm still in my combat clothes vest and all. Yet, he looks at me in disbelief. He starts laughing. While I'm holding my hand out. Disrespectful and if you knew me you know I don't like to be disrespected.

"Your the Sergeant?! What are you 5'1? Don't you have to be a certain height to enlist?" He goes on laughing at this point everyone in the camp is watching us. They all look just as doubtful.. well time to learn just who the fuck I am asshole.

"Izzy baby why don't you go to Rick?" I ask in a completely calm voice while Shane is still laughing. After she walks over to Rick who is looking at me with worry. I give him a little wink. I dash forward. Right jab to gut, left hook to his face, and I'm behind him with a full force kick right to the spine. Before he can fall forward on his face I kick the back of his left knee while grabbing his hair and pulling his head back at the same time. I get in his face ready to use my command voice.
"I am Sergeant First Class Haley Johnson! I have served 3 tours in Iraq with 493 confirmed kills under my belt! I have lead men that you could never own up too into battle and I brought back every member of my team every time! You a puny little sheriffs deputy WILL NOT DISRESPECT ME!!! DO YOU UNDERSTAND ME MAGGOT!" I scream right in his face. I can see true fear in his eyes and I love it. I do not like this man one bit. He slowly nods his head as I still have a handful of his hair. "I CAN'T HEAR YOU!" I yell.
"Yes Ma'm" he says in a shaky voice. I give him one last look before throwing him to the ground. I turn around slowly and bring my hands behind my back clasping my finger together and look around to everyone. Some look at me in fear and some look at me in respect. I look to Izzy and she has the biggest smile on her face and I send her a wink.