Chapter 18

As the sun shined its rays down on the Konohagakure, people lined the streets, watching a spectacle unfold that once occurred twice in a year, if even that. Children fought to peek past the legs of adults or climbed onto their parent's backs as to try to get a good look at the procession traversing the streets.

The people watched as leaders and major players from all across the Elemental Nations, heading towards the stadium at the far side of the village. Business owners dressed similarly to the late Gatou, some more scrupulous than him and others, sadly, not, walked with their bodyguards. Nobles wearing exquisite robes waved as they made their way towards their destination while feudal lords rode in norimono's hoisted up by their servants, hidden behind the curtains.

The citizens of Konoha gathered to catch just a small glimpse of these powerful individuals as they continued on their way to the sight of the final stage of the exams while the Third Hokage stood on the roof of the Administration Building with two bodyguards on either side of him. His robes billowed in the wind as he looked down on all these people visiting his village to see the best among the hopeful participants show their mettle and fight for the privileged of being named chunin of their villages.

"Finally," Hiruzen said. So much would be decided today. If there was ever a time to strike at the village, now would be the time, with so much of their manpower set on guarding their new arrivals as opposed to patrolling the outskirts of the village, forced to allow so many within their defenses... he knew this would be the best time for his old student to make his move.

He could only steel himself for what lied ahead, and hope that by the end of the day, he and his beloved home were still standing.

Naruto turned to look out at the village from his spot in the middle of his team's most frequented training ground, a single shadow clone standing across from him and following his gaze. He'd gotten up bright and early in anticipation for the exams and after completing his usual morning rituals, gone out there for a warm up as he waited.

Today was the day he'd been waiting for months for. The day he'd show everyone in Konoha he wasn't the dead last anymore. He was painfully aware that he'd been all talk before Wave, but he sure as hell wasn't anymore, and after today everyone would it.

He knew there was the possibility of Orochimaru making another move on him, but he wasn't too far outside the village unlike last time. He was confident that should it come to it he could make it back to the walls soon enough.

The rogue Sannin was the one low point of the day though. He couldn't deny he was concerned, being a prankster, he knew the easiest way to sneak in would be when the target was expecting a large number of arrivals, a party or some major event, as long as you could blend in with the crowd, something he'd been able to do when he was still in the academy.

For experienced Shinobi, it'd be child's play. And anything Orochimaru brought to the party wouldn't be for kicks.

But there was nothing he could do about that, so he did his best not to think on it. Either way, it looked like the time for practice was over though. Leaping up to the tallest nearby tree, he looked out at the main entrance to the village. There, he saw the last of the spectators making their way through the gates, a single golden colored norimono among them.

The blond grinned at the sight. "Looks like it's just about showtime." He made a half turn back and looked down at his clone. "Time to get moving."

The clone nodded before dispersing. Naruto made a hand sign and disappeared in a burst of smoke and a flicker of leaves.

Naruto reappeared on a rooftop down the road from the combatant's entrance. Briefly, he looked to the procession heading into the stadium. From where he was, you could just make out how the people gathered along the streets.