Protectors

September 1, 1971

The loud sound of the train horn pierced the air. Platform Nine and Three-Quarters was bustling with people as excited students were bidding their family members goodbye and joining their friends on the Hogwarts Express.

"You've got all your stuff? Clothes, books, wand?"

"Yes, Mum."

"You're sure?"

Mia smiled and heaved a sigh. "Yes, Mum, I'm sure. And before you ask, Jamie has everything as well. I should know-- I'm the one who packed his trunk."

"Mia, darling, why did you pack your brother's trunk?"

Mia raised her eyebrows. "Mum, do you honestly expect Jamie to remember to pack anything other than his Quidditch gear and Invisibility Cloak? He isn't even supposed to bring either of those anyway!"

"Surely he remembered his wand..."

"He remembered to put his wand in his holster..."

"Where'd he put his holster?"

Mia said nothing, but instead held up both James's wand and holster, keeping her face remarkably impassive. Dorea sighed.

"I love your brother, so, so much, you know I do, but sometimes I wonder how he survived this long without you."

"Don't worry, Mum. I'll make sure he doesn't get into too much trouble."

Dorea snorted. "Mia, darling, trouble is practically your brother's middle name."

"Did someone say trouble?" Asked James excitedly as he came bounding up behind them with his trolley as Charlus followed close behind him, them both having just passed through the barrier and on to the platform.

Mia snorted and rolled her eyes. "Yes, Jamie, we were talking about you and your knack for it."

"Knack for trouble? Me? I don't know what you're talking about," he said, with an innocent smile. Mia wasn't falling for it. "I'm an angel."

"Oh Jamie," said Mia, patting her brother's shoulder, and smiling sweetly– if not a tad condescendingly. "You'd have an easier time convincing me to become a professional Quidditch player than convincing me of that."

James gasped and clutched at his heart dramatically. "Oh, Mia, how you wound me!"

Mia scoffed. "Nothing gets past your ego."

"Ego? What ego? You know, Mia, I think you're just jealous of how amazing I am. You're completely in awe of my presence. Don't worry, I get it. It's not your fault I'm perfect."

"Oh really? Well, Mr. Perfect, would you mind telling me where your wand is?"

"Sure thing, little sis! It's in my holster!"

"And where is your holster?"

"I think you need your eyes checked," he said, nodding matter-of-factly as he reached to his left hip. "It's on my-" James paused, his eyes widening in panic when he realized his holster was not, in fact, on his hip. Mia, taking pity on her brother, held out his wand and holster.

"You are so lucky I saw this before we left, James Charlus Potter."

James sighed in relief, then smiled at his sister. "Thank you, Mia."

"Keep your wand on you at all times, Jamie, remember-"

"Constant vigilance! I know, Mia."

"Good."