24 - Boardroom accusations

Lester sat down, visibly retreating from this outburst.

Mark banged his gavel and reminded everyone that these were reports, not discussion items. Legal and Marketing had their moment at the projector, but they added nothing that caught my attention.

The distribution of Simon's shares came next. This was also boring. There was a stack of legal documents a couple of inches thick which Mr. Petry passed out to the various executives for signatures, and, in the case of Lester and Bill, separate copies for their spouses to sign promising, in the event of death or divorce, to return the options to the company. After a successful IPO, they could exercise or return the options. This was the same form Simon must have signed to allow the company to recover his options after his death.

Mark eventually brought the meeting around to new business, the first of which was the Pacific Mutual settlement for the fire. Paul Maxwell stepped in from the hall and read a letter of intent from his company indicating a proposed payout of four-and-a-half million dollars.

"The rebuild is five million," Bill objected.

"That's been taken into consideration," Mark replied, "but remember, the rebuild goes beyond simple replacement in several areas. Neal estimated those extras at nearly half a million. We're close enough to settle I believe. Is there any more discussion before we vote on accepting Pacific's offer?" All of the board members were smiling and shaking their heads negatively to the request for more discussion.

There was silence for a moment, and then I heard myself say, "It was arson."

All of the faces at the table turned toward me, and all of them were suddenly frowning, even Paul Maxwell. During those few moments, I tried to figure out why Paul Maxwell wasn't happy. Arson was his company's ticket to saving four-and-a-half million dollars. Then, of course, I realized it was the egg on his face he would be unhappy about. If he hadn't found arson, and someone else did, it might mean his job. When your job is at risk, what the hell does millions-of-dollars-of-company-savings matter. Clearly, Paul Maxwell wasn't a philosopher, but he didn't lose a minute before showing his aggressive side.

"Have you been withholding evidence in this investigation, Mr. Justice?" he said, accusing me.

"No," I said, "just uncovering it." I surveyed the room. Lester was the only one looking fearful, probably fearful about how much revealing I would be doing. The rest seemed to waiting to see where this was going.

"Arson by the person who stole the samples and notebooks," said Paul, "would still be covered under the policy." Some of the frowns around the table relaxed a little. Paul tried a small smile to support his guess.

"How about arson by an executive of Genetrix?"

Now I was getting reactions around the room. Even Janice's mouth dropped open, and she knew more than anyone about what I suspected.

"Are you accusing an executive?" Mark asked carefully.

"Just a hypothetical question," I said

"Then, yes," Paul answered, "there would be no payout."

The word hypothetical was having a general calming effect. Neal Wilson was the first to rouse himself. "What in hell is the point of your hypothetical question? We were about to vote on a very serious matter."

"If Simon Gallagher were murdered by an executive of the company, then arson to cover up the crime wouldn't be very hypothetical."

"Murdered? Not two days ago you proved it was suicide," Neal said, his small eyes widening, his big frame slumping with mock exasperation. "Are you losing your mind floating another pointless hypothesis?"