Chapter 2: On the rocks

(Cw: bar, and safe drinking)
This new chapter was written on a chard paper and with a pen made of mud and rusted ink, Nothing ran smoothly.

Second I got there I was already lost, found an apartment that was so small I could touch both walls without moving that the rent was so inflated that I could have bought 2 kidneys with the money.
Finding a stable job wasn't any easier.

Applying for job after job but I couldnt seem to get anything. Everything was filled, no musicians, no chorus, not even a background singer was needed. I was running dry of money at a quicker rate then it took for me to breath.
I didn't wanna go back to my mama empty handed saying my dream didn't work out. I couldn't face her if that happened.

While walking back to my house one day I finally see a gig that I could get with, it was at a small bar at down town. I took the flyer and ran to the closest landline and dialed the number on the sheet. The phone rang for a bit and then a man picked up the line.

"Hello?" His voice was crisp and clear, it sounded sassy and a bit southern but somehow open minded as well. Its buzzed low but
"H-hello? Um!- I saw your flyer about you needing someone to sing for your bar."
"Awe- sorry doll, but you're a bit to late. Someone already took up the offer."
My heart dropped right then and there. I couldn't let this go, I barely had any more cash. I felt like I was running out of time so in the second I wasn't thinking and I did something I never expected to do, I begged.

"Wait! Please sir- I beg of you! Please- Don't put the phone down just yet I beg!" The line goes silent for a bit.
". . . well I don't have all day, but I'm listening~"
"Please, I need this gig. If you could at least put me on for the next gig or put me as a back up. Heck, anything. I promise I ain't such a sag with me singing than with my praying."
". . . fine, if you're serious about that voice of yours then be ready in case the original person bails. Got it?"

I was more than ecstatic, the nervous sweat from my head slowed as I swallowed tear of relief I replied.
"Why thank you sir! I promise this won't be a disappointment nor set back! Just call whenever you need me."
"Name and number so we have you on stand by."
"The name's Scrie, Scrie C. Olatt. Number is 6701. And again thank you, thank you, thank you so much!"
"A thanks to you too miss Olatt. We'll call you if anything shows up ok."
And with those last words the line clicked and buzzed.

As I made the rest of my commute home I was still on the hunt for jobs. Up at 8:30 pm I finally hear the phone ring. As I picked it up I hear the familiar voice.
"Hello, is this Scrie Olatt that I'm talking to."
"Yes! Yes! That's me!"
"Ah, well Miss Olatt you are a lucky one today. The previous preformer said they couldnt make it for... Personal reasons."
"Oh well my heart does go out to them but thank you so much for this opportunity! I'll be at the bar on the flyer ASAP!"

I needed to dress nice, I didn't know what I was getting myself into. I put on a nice white button up and a bright blue tie, a bit of eye candy so I don't look like everyone in that crowd. And I was off and out the house, this was my time to shine.

As I stopped at the doors of the pub I took a breath before stepping foot in. The place was a bit more crowded than I'd like but it wasn't anything I couldnt handle.

Making my way through the crowd I finally see the back stage. 2 pairs of eyes peak from behind and motion me over to them. I quickly make my way there.
"I-is this where I'm supposed to be?"
A short man with Red and messy hair scurries over to me.
"Are you the replacement singer Mr. K-D got?"
"Who- I- um- well yes but wh-"
"That's all I need to know miss, quick and gettup on that mic the bands about to start."

Just like that I was shoved onto the stage almost tripping on myself already. I could feel the peoples eyes burning into me. Forcing my frozen body to get up I head to the mic.
Taking a deep breath I try and introduce myself, horrible screech goes throughout the bar as the mic peaked.

I force a smile on my face, my eyes wondering looking for words I need to make this run smoothly.
"Ehe hehm- good evening everyone! I hope y'all are having a lovely night, so sit back, and- winde down with some beer in hand! The singing will be alive! Step on the beat guys!"

I could still feel some eyes on me, but most people have already gone back to what they were doing at hand. I sang out my voice though, I just went with the beat and made up the words as it went along, its not as hard once I got in the swing of things. The people went on doing their business as usual but in the crowd I can see some peoples feet tapping to the beat, that little foot tap was I'll I needed.

Some hours go by and I ended the singing with some smooth blues. The people clapped their hands as I bow and head off the stage. Not needing to go home I stay for a bit and get some whiskey on the rocks.

A man sat next to me, ordering a drink. The man then turns to me, he wore a purple suit vest and matching the having a small brooch of a crown.
"Nice work up on there miss Olatt."
It was the same southern voice earlier while I was talking on the phone.
"Why thank you! Bless your heart, you much be the person I talked to on the line about this gig!"
"Yup, I sure am kid."

The man smiles and holds out his hand.
"My name is King, King Dice."