10

Percy

"Stiles, we have to get you out of here." Scott says, pulling Stiles towards the door. The four of us pile into his jeep just as it begins to rain, and he put his foot on the gas, speeding once more down the road.

"Oni?" I ask. "What are Oni?"

Kira turns to me. "They're basically shadow samurai. They're here to kill Stiles."

"Why?" 

"Because of the nogitsune."

I turn to Scott. "I thought you said you were positive he wasn't possessed."

"What was I supposed to say?" He looks back at me. "Yeah, sorry, my friends is possessed by an evil spirit, want to help me find him?"

"Yes!" I say, maybe too loudly. "I came here to find him, I'm not just going to abandon my quest because he's having some issues."

"Issues?" All three of them say at the same time, facing me. 

"What else would you call this?" I ask. "He's obviously having some sort of issues of he's trying to kill coach and blow up policemen."

"That wasn't me." Stiles chimes in. "I don't remember doing any of it."

"Where are we even going?" I ask, glancing at all three of them. 

"The animal clinic." Scott says. "It's lined with mountain ash, we'll be safe for a bit."

I sit back, shaking my head. What the Hell did Chiron send me into. When I get back to camp, him and I are going to talk. He can't just send me into the middle of monster central without anything and expect me to bring him back a Japanese spirit. He's bloody crazy. 

We pull up to the back of the animal hospital, beside where I had blown up the sewers. We all climb out, and as soon as the rain hits me, I feel energized. The other three run for shelter, but I don't care if I get drenched. Rain is my favourite thing, besides the ocean. 

And Annabeth. 

And food. 

And my Mom. 

And the colour blue. 

Scott stops at the door. "Percy, come on, they're coming." 

"You guys go, I'll hold them off." 

He pauses. "I'll help. Kira, get Stiles inside." Stiles hesitates.

"Just go. I got this." I say, watching as they disappear into the animal clinic. I step forward, my socks squishing in my shoes. That is the one thing I hate about water. Wet socks. 

I make my way towards Scott, keeping an eye on the shadows as I do. Watching for something, anything. And then I catch movement. At first it's just a flicker of darkness, but then it begins to grow. Three men appear between me ans Scott, dressed in black with katanas in their hands. 

The Oni. 

"So you're the demonic ninja guys." I say. "Look, I don't want to fight. Just leave us alone and no one has to get hurt." I try. But they don't respond. 

Then one stalks towards me, another towards Scott. 

I dodge it's attack, pulling my pen from my pocket. I uncap it just in time to deflect a katana, the sound of metal on metal drowned out by the thunder. 

Surely these thing count as monsters. I hope. I thrust Riptide into one's chest, and it materializes into black dust. 

That was cool. 

I turn to the other two, one is fighting Scott. But I can't help but stare at the boy's face. He's absolutely hideous. He grew sideburns, canine teeth and long ears. Now I know what Chiron meant by shapeshifters. 

I hit the second Oni in the head with the hilt of my sword, he stumbles back. I advance on the one attacking Scott, thrusting riptide into his back. But he doesn't disintegrate like the other one. He stays focused on Scott, ignoring the blade in his back. I pull it out, but just as I'm about to take another swing, the Oni plunges his katana into Scotts stomach. 

I swing Riptide, cutting through the Oni's waist. And finally, he materializes. I grab Scott, bracing him as I guide him to the door. It opens, and Stiles helps us inside. He shuts it just before the last Oni reach us.