3 - DATE

Half an hour had already gone by, and my date was a no-show. Did he text me the wrong day? Or the wrong time?

I doubt it, honestly. I should have seen it coming. I've never really been lucky when it comes to dating or boyfriends, and at some point it just feels like it's me who's the problem. Probably because I am, but that's something I'm not quite ready to admit to myself yet.

"Are you ready to order, miss?" The waiter asked, offering a menu.

"One more minute please, if you don't mind." I responded with a sigh, my heart feeling slightly heavy, and the last bit of hope that he was coming faded.

"No problem."

I sat back in my chair and wiped my hand over my face. That's just fucking fantastic isn't it? Getting stood up. I don't know why I thought this time it'd be any different. And it's not like I can use the excuse 'it's just what men are like' again. It was just that every time theres hope that someone actually liked me, it all would end up blowing up in my face and leave me feeling like a complete dumbass for even thinking that it was possible that someone would like me, let alone love. That's why most of the time, I think I would be better off alone, but then I contradict myself by agreeing to go on shitty dates that just reassure my point that I'm forever going to feel desolated, no matter how much I would try to deny it.

I looked around once again, scanning the restaurant in a last attempt to spot my date, and was unsuccessful in doing so.

However, I recognised a man sitting on his own, reading over the menu for what seemed to be one-too-many times.

"Steven?" I said, wandering over to the empty table he was sat at.

"(Y/N)? What are you doing here?" He asked, with a slightly flustered look on his face.

"Well, I was here to meet someone, but that didn't exactly go to plan." I laughed slightly, attempting to hide my embarrassment.

"Oh, right. Me too. You know what, since we are both here, would you–er like to erm‐ join me?''

"Oh. I mean, yeah. Sure. I'd like that.''
He stood up from his seat, and pulled the chair on the opposite side for me to sit down, and I smiled at him.

"You look beautiful, (Y/N)." He spoke as he sat back down.

"You t–" I cut myself off, and internally slapped myself. Although, Steven must have found it amusing as a snicker was let out. "You know what I mean," I laughed it off, wanting the floor to eat my alive to save me from embarrassment.

We had ended up talking the whole night, as I felt myself being drawn to him even more. He was adorable, the way he spoke. He's like a golden retriever, alluring and energetic. And there's so much more to him than I thought. However, I couldn't let myself get ahead of myself.

"Well, er- shall I walk you home?" Steven asked.

"I'd like that." I replied, linking his arm.

"It's the apartment building to the left." I told Steven, as we neared my home.

"What a coincidence, mine's the one
across the road. You can erm- visit anytime you'd like, if you wanted to."

"I'll be sure to take you up on that offer," I spoke, with a small smile on my face opening my apartment door.

"Laters gators,"

"In a while crocodile," I jokingly replied back, instantly cringing when I got inside. What the fuck?
Stop embarrassing yourself (Y/N).

After the whole date fiasco, I thought to myself.
It's crazy how such a disaster of a date turned into such a beautiful night. But I'm almost positive it was just Steven being polite since we both were let down. There's no way he'd like someone like me.

However, for some reason the thought that tonight didn't feel exactly like a random coincidence lingered in my mind.