Chapter 3

Is he everywhere you go? Shouldn't it be harder to run into someone specific in such a huge city as Los Angeles? Evidently not. 

Two days later, you spot him as you're grocery shopping in the bread section of the store. He's scrolling on his phone, leaned against his cart. You can't help the small gasp that escapes your mouth at the sight of him.

Never have you seen the same person so many times randomly outside of work.

Diluc looks up and a gaze of recognition flickers across his features.

"Y/N," He addresses as he slips his phone away.

"Hey... again."

He raises an eyebrow at you and you'd say that he looks almost amused even though his expression is as stony as ever.

"Why do we keep running into each other?" He asks your exact thoughts.

Before you can respond, a girl walks around the corner with a huge smile and reaches over to place some food in Diluc's cart.

"Ready to go?" She asks as she smiles up at him.

You can't exactly pinpoint it, but you recognize her from somewhere. Her wavy black hair with pink clips in it, her pink blush, her long eyelashes...

"You're Maria Ruiz!"

She turns to look at you, "I'm sorry, I don't recognize you."

Maria then puts a hand on Diluc's arm and attempts to push the cart forward. He doesn't respond for a moment, too concentrated on looking between the two of you.

"I'm Y/N -another model at Compass. I remember seeing you there at photoshoots and stuff."

She throws her head back to look at you with an almost-pitiful expression.

"It's a shame I don't remember you. Come on Diluc, let's go."

"I thought you wanted to get some bread," He reminds her.

"Why didn't you get it before! Gosh," She whirls around and brushes past the two of you, as if annoyed.

"So are you collecting models now or something?" You ask him with a laugh once Maria is out of earshot.

Diluc rolls his eyes in response but makes no comment. Your eyes travel to his Hermès watch and the rings that line his fingers.

"Hey, there's a party this evening at Skye Jemson's house," he says quietly.

Yet again another model. You're starting to think that maybe Diluc is a model himself with how much he seems to talk to them.

"Maria invited me to go," He explains, "But since Skye is a model too, maybe you could come along? Not with me or Maria, of course, but on your own? And we could like meet up at some point?"

"Am I allowed to do that? She didn't invite me."

Diluc looks like he might crack a smile at you. He leans back a bit, his head threatening to rest against the stacks of bread loafs on the shelf.

"It's going to be a big party. She'll probably be cool with it. You're as famous and popular as her anyways."

You look back at Maria who's meticulously searching through bread types at the other end of the aisle. You haven't been to parties in a long time. Usually you don't have time or energy to go to them and they aren't much fun anyways. Just famous people crowding around and getting drunk.

"Fine. But you have to tell me how you know so many models while we're there."

"Deal."

"It's at her house at 9 P.M."