→ seventeen

"Elijah, hey," Angel sighed in relief at the sight of the older vampire as she struggled to hold onto the box in her arms. "Would you mind...?"

Angel didn't need to finish her sentence before the box was lifted from her grasp, allowing her to escape the struggle of carrying such a heavy object.

"Where to?" Elijah asked the petite girl, who smiled in gratitude. 

"The ballroom should do for now," Angel replied, following Elijah as he obeyed her instructions. 

The two entered the ballroom together, which remained in disarray. Decorations remained scattered on the ground as compelled humans ran around struggling to get ready for the wedding the following day. Angel let her eyes wander around the room, wondering where her father was when she couldn't spot him anywhere. 

"Anything I can assist you with?" Elijah asked the young human.

"I don't think so," Angel shook her head as she bent down and opened the box to reveal a chandelier. "I think everything should be here."

Elijah nodded his head, opening his mouth to say something before closing it as he watched Angel shift through the box.

"Something wrong?" Angel asked as she looked up, realizing that Elijah didn't leave the room and was instead staring at her as if he wanted to say something but was afraid to. 

"It's just," Elijah paused, almost as if trying to find the right words to say. The action surprised Angel as she straightened up, confused about what Elijah was struggling to say. Finally, he seemed to find the right words as he finished, "I hope you realize what you're doing."

"Don't be silly," Angel forced a smile as she waved his words away, although deep down she felt her stomach drop as she mentally acknowledged what Elijah was addressing. "I know exactly what I'm doing. I'm getting married to the man I love."

"You'll never be able to see us again," Elijah went straight to the point, watching as the smile dropped from Angel's face. 

"I know what I'm doing," Angel repeated, more forcefully than she did before. 

"And you're okay with that?" Elijah questioned. "Never seeing Niklaus again?"

Angel paused at the words, a flash of sadness crossing her face as she thought about the man who had raised her, the one she had called dad since she was a little girl.

"I always knew the day would come," Angel responded slowly, her eyes clouded as if looking at something in the distance that wasn't there. "I never wanted to be a vampire and dad knew that. I want a family. I want kids. I can't have those things there."

"You have a family here," Elijah's words brought Angel out of her thoughts as she turned and looked at the older vampire sadly.

"But I wouldn't be able to have kids," Angel's words were impossible for Elijah to refute as he thought about his younger sister Rebekah and her impossible desire to have kids.

"I understand," Elijah nodded, knowing there was nothing he could say to change the girl's mind. "I just wanted to make sure you understood what you were doing."

"Love requires sacrifice, Elijah," Angel smiled sadly at the words. "This is my sacrifice to be with the man I love."

"I suppose I'll leave you to it then," Elijah gestured at the wedding decorations before speeding out of the room, leaving Angel alone with her thoughts.

Angel released a deep breath, shaking the negative thoughts away as she decided instead to focus on preparing for the wedding. She did, after all, only have one day left before she married the man she loved. Grabbing the chandelier from the box, Angel made her way to the ladder in the middle of the room. Although it was a struggle, she made it to the top of the ladder as she hung the chandelier from the ceiling. 

When she was sure the chandelier was secure, Angel took a step down and looked up, admiring the sight of the chandelier. Happy with her work, Angel looked below her as she prepared to climb down only to find a woman rushing straight toward her ladder, her view blocked by the large box she was carrying.

"Wait-" Angel called out, but was too late as the woman knocked into the ladder, throwing Angel off-balance.

Angel began falling despite her best efforts as she squeezed her eyes shut and prepared for an impact that never came. After waiting several seconds, Angel peaked through her eyelids to find herself staring back at none other than Kol Mikaelson.

"Let me down," Angel demanded, shooting straight up in his arms as she tried to squirm out of his grasp.

"You're lucky I even caught you at all," Kol scoffed as he roughly set the brunette back on her feet. "Some gratitude would be appreciated."

Angel rolled her eyes at the vampire, much to his annoyance as she brushed her dress off before straightening up to face him.

"The day I thank you, Kol Mikaelson," Angel responded angrily, frustrated by the vampire and all his antics. "Is the day hell takes over."

Angry at her words, Kol had to fight all his urges not to snap her pretty little neck. Instead, he took it out on the closest person which happened to be the compelled woman who had run into the ladder and knocked Angel off. Within a second, the sound of her neck snapping filled the ballroom, causing Angel to jump in surprise as Kol sped back in front of her with an angry glare in his eyes.

"You're welcome, m'lady," Kol smirked with a bow as he took in Angel's shocked expression before speeding off once again. 

Glancing between the dead body and the doors Kol disappeared through, Angel let out a frustrated burst before quickly recomposing herself. She took a deep breath, smoothing out the wrinkles of her dress before turning to the other compelled people in the room. 

"You," Angel pointed to a man, who walked over to her in compliance. "Get rid of the body. Make sure no one finds it."

Turning away from the dead body, Angel reminded herself to keep calm and simply think about tomorrow. She was going to have the perfect wedding and not even Kol Mikaelson could ruin it.