N I N E

"Jason, wait up!" Nick called out, as I slowed down to barely a walk. I turned back to glance down the passage I had just come from, to see Sergeant Kay and Corporal Merwin marching in my direction, with their guns at the ready.

"What are ya' guys doin'? I told ya' to stay back at the base with Colonel King." I explained, to which Merwin scoffed aloud. "You think I'd stay with that prick longer than I have too? You're joking." Merwin responded.

"We're a team. You and I. We're brothers." Nick exclaimed, giving my back a firm smack out of respect. I nodded my head, feeling very appreciative for the two soldiers in front of me. "Right, let's go then!" I ordered, waving Nick and Merwin on, to get them through the narrow, and dimly lit passage. I could have stood around and argued some more, but who really had the time for that?

"Just out of curiosity though. . . Are we sure this is smart, man?" Nick asked, looking back to check on me once he had passed by. "The Colonel will be pissed." he informed me, holding his rifle tightly to his chest.

I gave my Sergeant buddy a tilted smirk, as I walked through the narrow ally, and came to stand beside him on the other side.

"Worried are we, Sergeant?" I asked, sounding just the right amount of cocky and arrogant. Nick rolled his eyes as he let out an exasperated sigh.

"Worried about the Colonel? No way. Worried about us being down in this hell, while being chased by those freaks? Well, let's just say that I'm not exactly comfortable with the idea of us parading around this cave, with little resources, and no backup." Nick explained, eyeing the area cautiously. I chuckled lightly, although I agreed wholeheartedly. This wasn't exactly my idea of fun, nor was it the kind of situation I'd ever choose to be in; but that's life, and this was the hand I had been dealt.

"Look, Nicky, don't panic. We'll track down [Y/N], haul ass back to the main Hall, regroup with Colonel dumb-fuck, and find a way out of here. Simple." I stated, as I began walking in the only direction we could.

"Oh. Really? That simple?" Nick asked, with a hint of amusement to his tone.

I knew Nick was worried, and I knew he was doubting my ability to lead and protect, even if he wouldn't verbally admit it. Hell, I was doubting myself. . . But we were stuck down here. We had to handle the situation the best way possible, even if that meant taking it one step at a time.

I was willing to risk my life to find [Y/N].

"Hey, when you guys are done having your lil' bitch session, feel free to come have a look at this. I think I found a lead." Merwin announced, stopping by a rather large boulder. He knelt down to pick something up, and turned it over in his hands a couple times, before handing it to me to have a look at.

"It's [Y/N]'s, right?" he asked. I made my way over, and grabbed the little roll of bandage, and I instantly felt the slightest of ease and relief.

Sure, it was just a roll of bandage, and it could have belonged to any of the soldiers who ended up trapped down here. . . but [Y/N] was the Medic, and  if she still had her pack on her, this could have quite easily fallen out.

"She must have come through here, and not that long ago." I confirmed, sticking the roll of bandage into one of the many pockets on my pants. It may have been a little grubby, but it was still a good resource to keep on hand.

"Woah, woah, woah. Hold up. We can't be sure that's hers." Nick added, and in that moment, I saw the doubt flash in his eyes. "It's just a roll of bandage. How can we be sure that that belongs to [Y/N]?" he asked, looking desperately for a stronger lead than the one I was going off.

"We don't have another lead. We gotta trust the feelin'."

"What feeling?" Nick asked, looking at me like I was a crazy person. "Jason, we could be following an Iraqi's trail." Nick pointed out, and I let out a slight sigh, but not of frustration or annoyance. I understood Nick's concern and hesitance.