The First Time We Met

It was a typical morning at 6th Form, and me and the other pupils were getting ready to listen to the teacher drone on about Maths. I always hated Maths, it was such a bore when I'd rather be out on the town and in the football terraces. I always felt so insignificant in my "smart" clothes, they always felt so stuffy and old compared to the leather motorcycle jacket, Wrangler jeans and Adidas trainers I normally wore. I felt this would just be another depressing lecture about numbers. That is, until a girl walked in the room and sat at her desk.

She had on a dark green blouse with a black skirt, with long black trousers, and some black Mary Janes with the socks to match. Her hair was very elegant and her brown eyes radiated curiosity. She looked absolutely gorgeous compared to all the other girls, and I wished I could sit next to her and maybe see how her day was going. But I just felt so nervous, last time I talked to a girl was years ago at a primary school disco, and when her boyfriend saw me walking through the corridor to leave the school he dragged me to the lavatory and put my head in the toilet. I felt so scared that something similar would happen again, so I just got my head into the Maths lecture and forgot about her. I completed my other classes, and then it was time to eat my lunch. I went to the cafeteria to grab my usual order of pie and mash. And then the greatest thing happened: the beautiful girl who'd caught my eye in Maths sat down at the table across from mine, and I was surprised to see that she was on her own as well. Every other table was filled with either boys chatting about the latest Premier League scores and girls gossiping about how hot Chris Rock was. She was at her table just eating her lunch by herself, and she didn't talk to anyone. If I was going to be even the slightest bit near her, I would need to make my move now. I got up from my desk and moved towards hers. "Excuse me?" I asked "may I sit with you?" I said with a bit of a stutter. "Of course you can! Here, I'll move my stuff so you have room!" she said with a smile. "My name's Y/N, what's yours?!" I was shocked at how friendly she was but I kept my cool. "My name's M/N, a pleasure to meet you". We proceeded to talk about the lessons we had that day, and it turned out we were both absolutely stumped in the Maths lecture. Just then the bell rang and I had to leave, but not before promising to meet her the next day. "Goodbye Y/N, was fun chatting, see you tomorrow!" I said as I walked away. This made my day, and I'm sure it showed all those guys that probably thought I was the biggest nerd, that I was somebody.