Truth be Told

0:00 ───|────── 0:00
      "Thank U, Next" by Vitamin String Quartet
                      AKA the Bridgerton version

~

The first two weeks of the competition had, for lack of better words, dragged on painfully. Eren had gone on many dates around the palace and village with some of the eligible ladies.

It seemed that whenever I wanted some quiet time, there he was with someone.

I sat on the fourth story balcony, reading my book. It was a beautiful summer day, and the sun felt so nice on my face. I had the whole afternoon to myself before I had to meet Eila and Jean for dinner.

The balcony doors swung open abruptly, revealing Eren and a petite blonde girl. They were laughing, but stopped when they saw me.

"Oh!" the girl exclaimed, surprised to see me. "My apologies, we didn't know anyone was here."

I press my lips together and force a smile. "Please, don't apologize."

I close my book and standup, making my way towards the balcony entrance. Eren and the petite blonde moved out of the way.

My eyes flicker to the prince briefly, and I bow my head. "Your highness."

He nods, frowning. I roll my eyes and continue to walk back into the castle.

The castle seemed empty, probably because most of the girls were busy with Eila learning proper princess etiquette.

I never wanted to be one of them, but I always wondered what it would be like.

I wandered around the halls of the castle, trying to waste time as I waited for my friends. Eventually I ended up spending some time in the kitchen with Jeans mom, testing food for the upcoming ball.

A sudden burst through the kitchen doors startled me, and revealed my mother.

"Mom?"

"Oh darling, I need your help with decorations for the ball." my mother said, taking my hand and pulling me through the doors and into the ball room.

All afternoon, I help my mother with decorations. The theme was gold and white. There were gold details on the ballroom wall, so it fit the theme perfectly.

A few of the ladies would walk by occasionally, but I paid no attention to them.

After some time had past, Eila found me in the ballroom.

"Here you are." she smiles.

"Hi," I say, smiling back. "How was training?"

Eila rolled her eyes. "Dreadful, I wish you were there."

I laugh. "Maybe next time I can sit in."

Eila laughs and starts to help me put up decorations. "Are you going to attend this thing tonight?"

I shrug. "I'm not too sure... do you think I should?"