PROLOGUE

how you look
for magic unfailingly,
that's your treasure,
that's your gold.❞

- butterflies rising

☾ ⋆*・゚⋆*・ *・゚:⋆*・゚

ARIEL SERRANO HAD A KNACK FOR THE THEATRICS, or that is what her abuela always said anyway. But was it her fault? Her name itself had been the first provoker to the dramatic in her, it was an awful lot like a tongue twister, it sort of rhymed AND it was a fairy tale princess' name for Merlin's sake! She could succumb to embarrassment for the rest of her life, or do what her mother suggested instead - decide to love it so much that others have no choice but to love it more. It sounded better in spanish, she believed, but none the wiser.

The day her awaited letter arrived, was not awaited at all actually. You see, she was completely unaware of the fact that her magic had anything to do with a school where she could learn more about it, what else was her mama Rosita for? Ah right! Rosita Serrano, the best fashion designer Cornwall had seen in ages, or at least that is what Ariel believed, the woman with so much love in her but with that love came a lot more protection, sometimes good, other times, eh. Truth be told, the real reason she didn't want to let young Ri go to the magic school was less to do with her attachment and more to do with her...situation.

Ariel didn't look much like her mother, which Ariel found was a pity since her mother was considered the most beautiful woman to everyone that ever laid eyes on her ( mermaid genetics were to thank ). Of course, like any other eleven-year old, she chose to ignore how her abuela always gasped at the girl's siren-like features that always amplified her innocent eyes that seemed to hold the depths of the ocean with them. Apparently she looked like her father a lot, from the colour of her skin to the shape of her eyes. Being the only half-mermaid in recorded history, the looks-wise differing quality from her mother, seemed to not need an explanation fro Ariel, it confused her just as much nevertheless.

The absence of Ariel's apparently "absolutely amazing" ( her mother's words ) father certainly didn't help Rosita the slightest. How on Earth was she supposed to explain to an eleven year old that she was not just a mermaid, but also a witch, alone? The time Ariel had learned of her part mermaid-ness she had cried rivers for she was only PART something so exquisite, and couldn't turn into a sparkly-tailed princess of the sea on demand, like her mother could. Rosita also figured, it was after all his side that made her part witch, he should be there to tell her, right?

Ariel only knew good things about her father, for sure, like, how he was very charming to her mother when they met, how he loved her dearly even though they didn't go to the same school, their love was not taken well by their families, and that was the only reason her father could possibly leave the two girls he loved very very much.